Why not to use these in CICS

Support for CICS/ESA, CICS/TS & Transaction Gateway, CICS Configuration Manager and CICS Performance Analyzer

Why not to use these in CICS

Postby kumar009 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:24 pm

Why flat files (QSAM) can't be accessed in CICS ? Give the reasons..
I doubt, while FCT table demands the VSAM cluster dataset along with the KEY and other parameters.
I don't have access to create / register new VSAM files in FCT table at our site and check it practically. If anyone have access, Please share the screenshots which will be easy to understand.

STRING, UNSTRING, INSPECT verbs in CICS program ?
In some mainframe online reference, I read that these verbs can't be used like in a batch program. Is it TRUE?
If so, When I initialize any field with ( Variable MAP-FIELD-I ) '__________'. How can I handle the data after a RECEIVE command without using STRING / UNSTRING verbs to remove the unwanted characters ?
kumar009

Re: Why not to use these in CICS

Postby Robert Sample » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:28 am

Flat files actually can be accessed in a CICS program, but only in a particular way. Think about what you cannot put in a CICS program (such as FD statements, OPEN / CLOSE statements, and so forth) to help you understand the limitations of CICS COBOL programs.

STRING, UNSTRING, INSPECT verbs in CICS program ?
In some mainframe online reference, I read that these verbs can't be used like in a batch program. Is it TRUE?
Whether or not your particular verbs cannot be used in CICS program even though valid in batch programs requires merely reading the manuals -- and IBM makes the manuals available online for free.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Return to CICS