panel definition statements

TSO Programming, ISPF, SDF, SDSF and PDF, FTP, TCP/IP Concepts, SNA & SNA/IP etc...

panel definition statements

Postby aradhana11 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:36 pm

I have made ispf panels using panel definition statements. When viewing a panel, if i press F3, it directly exits the application and goes to the dataset list. How do i fix it so that on pressing F3, it navigates to the previous panel/screen. Please help.
aradhana11

Re: panel definition statements

Postby NicC » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:51 pm

What dataset list? Where are you invoking the panel from - while developing it should be something like 7.2. PF3 simply takes you back to where you when you invoked the panel as long as PF3 is defined as END.
The problem I have is that people can explain things quickly but I can only comprehend slowly.
Regards
Nic
NicC
Global moderator

Postby aradhana11 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:48 pm

I have used panel definition statements to make panels. I want to make PF3 work in such a way that, when i am on a panel and i press F3, I am navigated to panel immediately before it and so on.
aradhana11

Postby Pedro » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:57 pm

it directly exits the application

It is not clear what you mean by 'application'. Typically, there is a program that issues the DISPLAY service. When you press PF3, that translates to return code=8 from the DISPLAY service. Your program has to tolerate that return code.

And you mention more than one panel... it is your program logic that needs to handle what happens when PF3 is pressed on a panel.

Show us your panel definitions and your application program.
Pedro Vera
Pedro

Postby aradhana11 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:34 am

Consider 2 panels. One panel has two options '1. Backup 2.Restore'. On selecting 1, the other panel appears where the user can enter '1. dataset (to backup) 2. tape name'. Now on this 2nd panel if the user doesnt choose any option and presses PF3, the previous panel containing '1.Backup 2.Restore' should appear.

how to I implement the above functionality?
aradhana11

Postby NicC » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:09 pm

Simply check the return code from the sub-panel and, if acceptable, re-display the primary panel. I.E. put it all in a loop. (You did put it in a loop, didn't you?)
The problem I have is that people can explain things quickly but I can only comprehend slowly.
Regards
Nic
NicC
Global moderator

Postby aradhana11 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:15 pm

yes. Thank you. I am able to do it now.
aradhana11

Return to TSO & ISPF