starting OMVC

TSO Programming, ISPF, SDF, SDSF and PDF, FTP, TCP/IP Concepts, SNA & SNA/IP etc...

starting OMVC

Postby byfed » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:56 pm

Hi all,

This is my first post in this great forum.

I am learning about mainframe world in general and ISPF and TSO in particular.

When trying to execute OMVS command from TSO prompt i receive the message: "no session was started. No pseudo-tty are avaible".

Can anyone help me?

Thanks in advance.
byfed

Re: starting OMVC

Postby Robert Sample » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:44 pm

First, terminology is critical in IT where similar terms may mean very different things. "starting OMVC" is your post title -- what is OMVC? I know OMVS which is Unix on z/OS, but I've never heard of OMVC.

Second, assuming you mean OMVS instead of OMVC, you appear to have an FSUM2149I message, which should have included more data (such as errno, reason code, return-value). These values can help determine the problem -- why did you not post the full and complete message rather than paraphrasing it?

Third, have you talked to your site support group? They would be responsible for setting up the pseudo-tty devices in /dev/ and can also do investigation as needed.

Fourth, "starting OMVS" is not your problem -- OMVS is started. You have a problem connecting to OMVS, but there is no issue (that we can see from what you posted) with OMVS starting. Do NOT confuse your terminal session with the OMVS subsystem!
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Re: starting OMVS

Postby byfed » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:00 pm

Thanks for your answer.
You are right. I misstyped the command. The correct word is OMVS and the system returns FSUM2149I.
I didn't include more information because the complete info i received was it. The prompt returns this line (cut and paste):
FSUM2149I No session was started. No pseudo-TTYs are available.+
I don't know how obtain errno, reason code and return value.

Third, i can't ask my site support group, because i am running Hercules, a mainframe emulator. I am following a curse about mainframe, but sadly my teacher don't know too much about it (he didn't know the existence of Hercules, for example).

Anyway, i thank you again your answer and appreciate your comments.
I am really newbie and have a lot to learn. Any help is wellcome.
byfed

Re: starting OMVC

Postby enrico-sorichetti » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:26 pm

topic locked.
the TS is violating the IBM Software license agreement
the Hercules documentation is very clear about the operating systems that can be legally run
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort
enrico-sorichetti
Global moderator

Return to TSO & ISPF