Macros using Host On Demand

Support for MQSeries and Websphere Message Oriented Middleware communication systems for z/OS

Macros using Host On Demand

Postby Naveen@Uppi » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:50 pm

Hi All,

In IBM mainframes using the 3270 Display screen we have options to create/Edit/Run macros.Does any one know how can we edit macro in such a way it picks data from an excel sheet or from a file (sequenatial data set).

Please let me if any one has got this information .

If you have any documents please mail it to e-addr removed per forum rules
Thanks and regards,
Naveen
Naveen@Uppi

Re: Macros using Host On Demand

Postby dick scherrer » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:04 pm

Hello,

If you explain what you are trying to do, someone may have a suggestion.

Typicall, if you have a requirement to get pc data (spreadsheet or otherwise) to the mainframe for use, this is not done with the 3270 terminal emulator.
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby Naveen@Uppi » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:59 pm

Hello,

Thanks Dick for your quick reply.

I can give an example where in I want to create a account for a client.The macro should read the client number from the excel and use it has a input for creating a contract.

If it's not possible throught the 3270 terminal emulator,Please suggest any alternatives.

Thanks and Regards,
Naveen N
Naveen@Uppi

Postby dick scherrer » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:56 am

Hello,

I can give an example where in I want to create a account for a client.
Are you doing this with a cics program? If not, how are you doing this?

If you are using a cics program to accept terminal input and create an account, the easiest thing would probably be to open the spreadsheet and copy/paste the client number from the spreadsheet to the appropriate field on the cics screen.
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby vinter » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:38 pm

Sorry for the thread necrophilia, but I have essentially the same question:

I would also like to automatically transfer files between Windows and the mainframe. I have 27 files which I quite often have to transfer and rename.
Currently I open the windows files in RDz and their target files on the mainframe and then copy paste the contents.

If I was a little clever, I would make an Excel macro which renamed all the files to a mainframe legal eight letter name and I could then drag-and-drop them in RDz. But I am not clever, so I would prefer to make a macro of some sorts, which could rename and copy the little buggers. And I would also like to learn how to make scripts in RDz, if there is any such functionality, since I find that I quite often run into similar problems.
Also, one of the reasons it is difficult to get my colleagues to use RDz, is that there are quite effective (*) macros in our TSO emulator, which people say they would miss.

Does anyone have any idea how to do this? I see there is something called Menu Manager, but the documentation I have seens is not really good. Will Menu Manager be able to do stuff like this?
Thanks for any advice.

(*) Actually, they are utter crap, but they are better than what I have managed to find in RDz.
vinter

Postby dick scherrer » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:19 am

Hello,

I have 27 files which I quite often have to transfer and rename.
One fairly simple thing you could do is create a batch file on the pc that would either rename the files and then ftp them or a batch file that would ftp the files renaming them in the PUTs.

As this is primarily a mainframe forum and (iirc) RDz is primarily a pc-based product, there may not be many RDz users here. . .
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby vinter » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:32 pm

dick scherrer wrote:One fairly simple thing you could do is create a batch file on the pc that would either rename the files and then ftp them or a batch file that would ftp the files renaming them in the PUTs.

Yeah, that would be a solution for that particular problem, but I am not too sure, we are allowed to ftp to the mainframe. It is definitely not documented in my organization. But more importantly there are so many things we would like to automate in RDz.

dick scherrer wrote:As this is primarily a mainframe forum and (iirc) RDz is primarily a pc-based product, there may not be many RDz users here. . .

Fair enough. We just use RDz for mainframe development, job submitting, file handling, debugging and it all, but it runs on PC Windows. I have no idea how common that is.
vinter

Postby dick scherrer » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:28 am

Hello,

I have no idea how common that is.
IBM would like this to become very common :)

You might look here . . .
www-949.ibm.com/software/rational/cafe/docs/DOC-3101 - 321k -
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby vinter » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:32 pm

dick scherrer wrote:Hello,
You might look here . . .
www-949.ibm.com/software/rational/cafe/docs/DOC-3101 - 321k -

Hi again and thanks for your help but:
"COBOL and Business Application Development"? Errhhh, how is that relevant? It is basically just an advert for COBOL saying it is good because it is old. What does that have with scripting in RDz to do?

Cheers,
vinter
vinter

Postby dick scherrer » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:39 am

Hello,

Well, you have to put in at least a little bit of effort. . .

On that page, click the COBOL Cafe link in this line:

IBM Rational Cafés > COBOL Café > Documents
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Next

Return to WebSphere MQ