Can deadlocks cause lock escalations ?

IBM's flagship relational database management system

Can deadlocks cause lock escalations ?

Postby Rockish » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:29 pm

Hello all,

I was just trying to understand the concept of locks, deadlocks, lock escalations. I understand that lock escalations happen when the total number of locks increases and approaches the LOCKMAX parameter value. Also deadlocks happens when two process tries waits on each others lock and faces a situation to wait indefinitely. Normally in cases of deadlocks, one of the process involved gets abended and the other resumes after some time. In this situation, I am just wondering can lock escalations happen because of deadlocks? If yes, can somebody give some examples or some references for me to read.

Any help would really be appreciated.
Rockish

Re: Can deadlocks cause lock escalations ?

Postby dick scherrer » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:30 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum,

Also deadlocks happens when two process tries waits on each others lock and faces a situation to wait indefinitely. Normally in cases of deadlocks, one of the process involved gets abended and the other resumes after some time.
When a deadlock is detected, the process actually causing the deadlock is terminated at that time. Depending on how the code is written in these process, there could be considerable performance degredation. . .

Any processes that could cause a deadlock error should not be run at the same time. Better than controlling the timing, it is much better to modify the code so that there is no possibility of a deadlock.
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Return to DB2