Design to optimize the performance of Cobol-Db2 program

IBM's flagship relational database management system

Design to optimize the performance of Cobol-Db2 program

Postby vishnusrini » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:54 pm

Our one of program taking maximum CPU time which is the primary function of the program.

We have one Cobol-Db2 program, Cursor is defined to select the data from table based on purge date which is coming from input date file and then data being purged based on the selected rows. In this program, there in only one input file to read the date and that date is compared with table’s Purge date. There is no impact on COBOL coding and it only lies with DB2 table. i.e. program selecting approximately 33 lakh rows from table and taking more CPU time while fetching each row at a time and then purging.
vishnusrini

Re: Design to optimize the performance of Cobol-Db2 program

Postby enrico-sorichetti » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:38 pm

OK for the language barrier, but sometimes it' s too much
please reread carefully You initial post and try to reword it so that we can understand it

Our one of program taking maximum CPU time which is the primary function of the program.

the above sentence is pretty puzzling
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort
enrico-sorichetti
Global moderator

Re: Design to optimize the performance of Cobol-Db2 program

Postby dick scherrer » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:45 pm

Hello,

What is considered excessive cpu time? What is expected?

Processing 3.3 million rows in one query is probably going to take a consiterable amount of resources.

Suggest you work with your dba and make sure the query and the keys are properly defined. . .
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Return to DB2