Accessing DB2 table on another LPAR

IBM's flagship relational database management system

Accessing DB2 table on another LPAR

Postby p19689 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:11 pm

Hi , One of the COBOL programs need to access data from table on another LPAR. The Both subsystems are DB2 V9 z/os. I have tested by doing this manually to make sure the Location table is properly setup and the alias are created and it works.
But I need to clarify few things about the binds and also how the remote bind works.

I presume at the local system it's a usual bind. At the remote system :

a) Can I ship the DBMRM LIB to the Remote LPAR and run the same bind job which run on the local system ?
BIND PACKAGE(devcol) MEMBER(prg1)
or it's necessary to the following
b) Remote bind at the local subsystem by changing the above bind cards to poit to the remote location(location2) as below:
BIND PACKAGE(location2.devcol) MEMBER(prg1)

What's the best way of doing this bind ?
Can anyone explain (or point to the right source) how at the run time db2 will call the remote package please ?

Thanks for the advice.
p19689

Re: Accessing DB2 table on another LPAR

Postby dick scherrer » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:29 pm

Hello,

Suggest you talk with your database support and learn how this is to be supported on your system.
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby Peter_Mann » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:09 pm

Do you have some type of change control or change managment systems in place? most producst allow you to perform double or remote binds, you setup a template, and the product will query DB2 and create the DB2 package and bind to the required subsystem.
Peter
Peter_Mann

Postby p19689 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:40 pm

Thanks Peter , I thought my question is straight forward. What I'm trying to understand is without doing a remote bind whether is it possible to do the local bind at the remote site ?
p19689

Postby dick scherrer » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:10 pm

Hello,

Yes, i believe your question is straight forward.

Unfortunately, you still need to work with the database support people for your system as they (not anyone here at the forum) know what is to be supported on your system.

There are many things that are technically possible, but are subject to local site restrictions.
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby Peter_Mann » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:43 am

p19689 wrote:Thanks Peter , I thought my question is straight forward. What I'm trying to understand is without doing a remote bind whether is it possible to do the local bind at the remote site ?

Sorry - not exactly sure, as DIck sez, it may be techincally possible - your site may restrict it, at my site the binds are built by the change product and while submitted from a DEVL LPAR the bind for the DEV,QA and PROD LPARS are built and submitted to the appropriate LPAR.
Peter
Peter
Peter_Mann

Return to DB2