Is there something like in-memory database in DB2 for zOS?

IBM's flagship relational database management system

Is there something like in-memory database in DB2 for zOS?

Postby BorisEE » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:31 am

Hi,

I am trying to design a table structure in DB2/zOS to support real time update of business data.

The data are like <name1,value>, <name2, value>,.......<name100,value>. And they are updated frequently like once per second.

The query can be performed both on current value and past values depending on the timestamp, so the historic data should also be stored.

To my knowledge, the mainstream solution for this problem is in-memory database, such as the Oracle TimesTen In-Memory Database.

We use two tables to support our need:

1. TABLE-CURRENT, stores the current value, indexed on data name, provides query on current value.

2. TABLE_HISTORIC, stores the past values, indexed on data name and timestamp, provides query on historic values.

Usually, TABLE-CURRENT is kept in memory for realtime performance.

The question is that, is there something similar as in-memory database in DB2/zOS?

Or is it OK that we just keep TABLE-CURRENT as regular db2 table?

THANKS VERY MUCH!

BRs,

Boris
BorisEE

Re: Is there something like in-memory database in DB2 for zO

Postby enrico-sorichetti » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:14 pm

well...
one update per second is what I would consider a VERY LOW TRAFFIC ;)
so the performance should not be a problem whatever dumb database You might be using
( and DB2 is NOT dumb at all )
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort
enrico-sorichetti
Global moderator

Postby dick scherrer » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:57 pm

Hello,

When "things" are processed by the DB, they tend to stay in core unless their space is needed by some other process. When there is a lot of acivity on a few rows, they tend to be re-referendced from a buffer rather than being read from disk each time.

As Enrico mentioned, one transaction per second is Very Low volume, so this should not be a performance issue for this.
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby steve-myers » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:53 am

Didn't the last major DB2 announcement provide something like this, though I think it was called something else?
steve-myers
Global moderator

Return to DB2