EMPTY VSAM file

Help for IBM's record-oriented filesystem VSAM, ESDS, KSDS, RRDS, LDS and Storage management Subsystems

EMPTY VSAM file

Postby whocares » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:01 pm

Currently we have old legacy programs that must have the KSDS VSAM initailaized before use. To get arround this we use quickjob to write a record then delete the record so the file is initialized

Is there way arround this without rewriting the program?
whocares

Re: EMPTY VSAM file

Postby Robert Sample » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:09 pm

No. This is not a legacy program requirement, it is a VSAM requirement. The requirement is that a VSAM file that has not been opened for output and had a record written (even if it is then deleted) CANNOT be opened for input.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby halfteck » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:12 pm

add a low or high values key record. Remove that record after you have used the file and added 'proper' records
halfteck

Postby enrico-sorichetti » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:24 pm

add a low or high values key record. Remove that record after you have used the file and added 'proper' records

the process to <prime> the file is already in place, the TS is just asking how to get rid of the <priming>

anyway the answer is NO
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort
enrico-sorichetti
Global moderator

Return to VSAM/SMS