INSERTING CHINESE CHARACTERS INTO VSAM FILE

Help for IBM's record-oriented filesystem VSAM, ESDS, KSDS, RRDS, LDS and Storage management Subsystems

INSERTING CHINESE CHARACTERS INTO VSAM FILE

Postby pals » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:50 pm

I HAVE CONNECTED JAVA TO MAINFRAMES.NOW I WANT TO ENTER CHINESE CHARACTERS FROM JAVA TO VSAM FILE.BUT VSAM FILE IS SHOWING BLANK SAPCES.kINDLY GIVE POINTERS.
pals

Re: INSERTING CHINESE CHARACTERS INTO VSAM FILE

Postby BillyBoyo » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:54 pm

Caps-lock off please, using all Capital Letters is considered "shouting".

However your Chinese characters are represented, they are only bytes of data. If bytes of data are not appearing on a VSAM record, then the most likely thing is a program bug. There is also a possibility that they are there, but you cannot "see" the values. Try lookig at the data on the record in HEXadecimal. Another thing you can try is to, as a test, write a little bit of plain text in English alongside the Chinese. If you can see the English, the Chinese is there as well.
BillyBoyo
Global moderator

Postby pals » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:59 pm

Hi BillyBoyo,
I will really appreciate i you can guide me how to execute this"Try lookig at the data on the record in HEXadecimal."?
pals

Postby pals » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:00 pm

yes,,,i have done with chinese and english letters earlier,it was showing spaces alongwith visible english letters.
pals

Postby BillyBoyo » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:08 pm

So, the Chinese is likely to be in the "invisible" charactes. The chances are that the data is there, but what you are using to look at it is only showing you "displayable" characters from its default character set. What are you using to look at the data?
BillyBoyo
Global moderator

Postby pals » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:10 pm

mochasoft
pals

Postby BillyBoyo » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:18 pm

OK, that sounds a bit like Icecream to me. So I guess you are not on the Mainframe when looking at the data on the VSAM record? Have a look under Edit, View and Help, you might find something to allow you to look at the Hex values of the data. You then have to track down how to see whether the data is successfully recorded, rather than some almost-random values. If you're entering data from something external to the Mainframe, it is ASCII character representation almost certainly. On the Mainframe EBCDIC. Then you need "codepages" for the Chinese somewhere(s) along the way as well.
BillyBoyo
Global moderator

Postby pals » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:05 pm

in settings of mocha i have found,language option ..which further gives option for ebcidc-ascii option,,,and inright column give many options of languages but not chinese..how shd i proceed...to include chinese in it and wud it help to display chinese..?
pals

Postby BillyBoyo » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:13 pm

I'm sorry, I have no idea myself. At this stage, to start at that end, you need to find a forum which knows about mochasoft, or at least Java on the web. It is tricky, as it may well cover mainframe aspects as well, so come back with the questions which relate to mainframe stuff, but for non-mainframe stuff you'll get much better responses from other fora. Good luck.
BillyBoyo
Global moderator

Postby pals » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:19 pm

thanks alot...it was really nice interacting with you...and thanks 4 ur knowledge:)
pals

Next

Return to VSAM/SMS