Find/replace pattern in all PDS members ?

Help for IBM's record-oriented filesystem VSAM, ESDS, KSDS, RRDS, LDS and Storage management Subsystems

Find/replace pattern in all PDS members ?

Postby Nenad V » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:54 pm

Hello,
I need to find a string in all PDS members and replace it with another string. There are plenty examples and utilities to do this for pds with lrecl=80, but I'm dealing with PDS with lrecl > 80.
Any help will be appreciated .
Regards,
Nenad
Nenad V

Re: Find/replace pattern in all PDS members ?

Postby Akatsukami » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:44 pm

File-AID can do this; File Mangler probably can, although I'd have to read the documentation to be 100% certain. If all else fails, I'd advise writing a little bit of Rexx to do this directly if the volume of data is low, or to tailor a skeleton using your sort product if it is not.
"You have sat too long for any good you have been doing lately ... Depart, I say; and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!" -- what I say to a junior programmer at least once a day
Akatsukami
Global moderator

Postby Peter_Mann » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:15 pm

Be careful when using a tool like FILE-AID, it will replace exactly what you tell it to, from string and to string sometime are not equal lenghts and are not what you'd expect, if dealing with JCL its much harder sometime, I've done this before changing my JCL PDS from one ID to another only to find the repalced value caused syntax errors, but that was my opportunity to learn to be more careful :)
Peter
Peter_Mann

Postby Akatsukami » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:27 pm

Peter_Mann wrote:Be careful when using a tool like FILE-AID, it will replace exactly what you tell it to

This is a common problem with computers, that they do what you say instead of what you mean :geek:
"You have sat too long for any good you have been doing lately ... Depart, I say; and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!" -- what I say to a junior programmer at least once a day
Akatsukami
Global moderator

Return to VSAM/SMS