How can i make a download of a IMS-DB

IBM's hierarchical database management system with a Database Manager (IMS DB) and a Transaction Manager(IMS DC)

How can i make a download of a IMS-DB

Postby Alison Oliveira » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:26 pm

How can i make a download of a IMS-DB?

i have an example but i need help to understand...

//STEP1I EXEC PGM=DFSRRC00,
// PARM='ULU,DFSURRL0'
//STEPLIB DD DSN=IMSVS.RESLIB,
// DISP=SHR
//IMS DD DSN=IMSVS.DBDLIB,
// DISP=SHR
//DFSVSAMP DD DSN=Z005.SYSINLIB(Z002IOBF),
// DISP=SHR
//SYSPRINT DD SYSOUT=*
//DFSUIN01 DD DSN=F001.COPIDP1I(0),
// DISP=OLD
//DBIDDP1I DD DSN=TF001.ROGER.DBEDDP1I,
// DISP=OLD

Thanks for help!
Alison Oliveira

Re: How can i make a download of a IMS-DB

Postby Akatsukami » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:42 pm

I recommend that you post JCL and other code and data fragments where formatting may be significant using the BBCode Code tags (click on the "Code" button for an example).

This JCL does not produce a download of an IMS data base, but an reload of one. As both terms could be used, but with very different meanings, it is important to use the correct one.

DFSRRC00 is the IMS program. The parameters indicate that you are executing the HISAM reload utility, DFSURRL0. DBIDDP1I apparently defines the actual data base (I'd need to see the unload to be sure), and DSNUIN01 the data to be reloaded.
"You have sat too long for any good you have been doing lately ... Depart, I say; and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!" -- what I say to a junior programmer at least once a day
Akatsukami
Global moderator

Postby Alison Oliveira » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:12 pm

Thanks a lot... i'm sorry , i am a beginner in this area so if i measure strange terms, i'm sorry...

But i understand what you sad except this part...
// PARM='ULU,DFSURRL0'
what this means???

and where is this "Code" button?
Alison Oliveira

Postby Akatsukami » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:53 pm

Alison Oliveira wrote:Thanks a lot... i'm sorry , i am a beginner in this area so if i measure strange terms, i'm sorry...

But i understand what you sad except this part...
// PARM='ULU,DFSURRL0'
what this means???

I don't know how well you are acquainted with MVS JCL, so I shall write as if you had a very basic introduction to the subject but no actual experience.

An EXEC statement executes either a program (indicated by the keyword parameter PGM) or a JCL procedure (which may or may not be indicated by the keyword PROC). A procedure must itself include one or more EXEC statements executing programs or procedures; within (IIRC) fifteen level, every nested procedure must terminate in an EXEC statement executing a program. Incidentally, nesting procedures is a bad idea; avoid doing so.

A program may itself take a parameter; this parameter is specified by the PARM keyword on the EXEC statement. DFSRRC00 is, as I say, the IMS program; everything IMSish runs as a subroutine of DFSRRC00. What is to be run is specified to it in the parameter string (which must be 100 characters or less in length). The parameter string is analyzed into sub-parameters, separated by commas. The first sub-parameter indicates the region type; the second sub-parameter indicates the name of the program specification block (PSB) to be used. This JCL runs PSB DFSURRL0 (as I've said, the HISAM reload utility) in a ULU region.

A program or dynamically-loaded subroutine may not exist in the link pack area (LPA; common storage containg frequently-used modules) or system link list (of libraries). In such a case, the names of the libraries in which the routine may exist are defined by the STEPLIB DD statement.
and where is this "Code" button?

If you use the full editor (automatically invoked by "Post Reply"; if you use "Quick Reply", there is a button to switch to the full editor, unsurprisingly labelled "Full Editor"), above the edit box is a line of buttons for bolding, italicizing, underlning, etc. The fifth button the Code button; if you click on it, it will generate an open-close set of code tags at the cursor position.
Coded text looks like        this.  Note that a fixed font is used, and multiple spaces are preserved.
"You have sat too long for any good you have been doing lately ... Depart, I say; and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!" -- what I say to a junior programmer at least once a day
Akatsukami
Global moderator

Postby Alison Oliveira » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:27 am

When i say about "instalation of an IMS-DB"...
what this means?? Could you explain in general situation...??

Thanks again!
Alison Oliveira

Postby NicC » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:29 am

Alison Oliveira wrote:When i say about "instalation of an IMS-DB"...
what this means??

I do not see this in the above postings. Is this another question? If so you should start a new topic. As to an answer - are you enquiring about setting up a new database within an existing IMS region? Setting up a new IMS reqion? Recovering an existing database? or what. Perhaps you should ask your co-workers (which you should have done first) and read the IMS General Information manual.
The problem I have is that people can explain things quickly but I can only comprehend slowly.
Regards
Nic
NicC
Global moderator

Postby Alison Oliveira » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:52 pm

ok!

A new IMS database, but i dont know about regions of this databases =(
So, i think that i have to read about it first...
Do you have some material that you sad previous???
Alison Oliveira

Return to IMS DB/DC