Write a JCL to generate a list

IBM's flagship sort product DFSORT for sorting, merging, copying, data manipulation and reporting. Includes ICETOOL and ICEGENER

Write a JCL to generate a list

Postby tringuyen25 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:50 pm

Hi everyone, I'm new to mainframe so some of my question my pretty dummy, please forgive.

I have a task to write a JCL job invoking ICETOOL/DFSORT to generate a report. The report takes a VSAM KSDS as input and generates a list of bank branches.

Each record in the BRANCHES KSDS is of the form
• 4-byte binary unsigned integer representing a 6-digit decimal branch sortcode (e.g. 420101)
• 1-byte EBCDIC flag:
◦ EBCDIC 'A' means the branch is owned by ZeusBank and all its accounts are held in the
ACCOUNTS KSDS
◦ EBCDIC 'B' means the branch is not owned by ZeusBank so we do not hold its account
information in the ACCOUNTS KSDS
• 32-byte EBCDIC character branch name (e.g. “ZEUSBANK FOOFORD BAR STREET” or
“OTHERBANK QUUXHAM BAZ ROAD”), blank padded on the right.

Since I'm completely new to mainframe programming, can anyone guide me step by step to do this task. For now I'm struggling to create a JCL job in my PDS. Does the JCL have to be inside the PDS? Thanks, appreciate any help
tringuyen25

Re: Write a JCL to generate a list

Postby prino » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:11 pm

You should ask the company you're working for to give you a proper education, rather than come here and ask us to do their job free of charge.

'nuff said!
Robert AH Prins
robert.ah.prins @ the.17+Gb.Google thingy
prino

Postby steve-myers » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:16 pm

Does the JCL have to be inside the PDS?

It has to be somewhere. Other statements you make indicate the PDS was created for JCL.

As Prino says, you need education. These forums are inappropriate for the purpose.
steve-myers
Global moderator

Postby NicC » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:43 am

A point to note: JCL is only a mechanism to let z/OS know that you want to run some program(s) and the resources needed by said program(s). The JCL to execut the DFSort program is noted in the the DFSort manual. This will have to be tailored to your sites standards and naming convntions. That takes up only a page or two of the manual. The rest of the manual is devoted to explaining the sort control statements. Note that these are not JCL but control statements. None of this, the JCL and the control statements, requires programming on your part.
The problem I have is that people can explain things quickly but I can only comprehend slowly.
Regards
Nic

These users thanked the author NicC for the post:
tringuyen25 (Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:19 am)
NicC
Global moderator

Return to DFSORT/ICETOOL/ICEGENER