How to sort alternate records

IBM's flagship sort product DFSORT for sorting, merging, copying, data manipulation and reporting. Includes ICETOOL and ICEGENER

How to sort alternate records

Postby coollearner » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:36 pm

I have a file with a key. I want to extract alternate records and sort the those records for partcicular criteria.
Please let me know how to achieve this.
Knowledge is wealth
coollearner

Re: How to sort alternate records

Postby Robert Sample » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:07 pm

It is not at all clear what you are talking about.

What "alternate records" do you mean? If you're referring to alternate indexes (not records), are you wanting to unload the alternate index records themselves (which consist of a 4-byte overhead area, the alternate index key, and 4-byte pointers to each primary record with the matching alternate index), or unload the base cluster in alternate index key order?

What are you having problems with? Being specific in forum posts gets you much better answers than generic statements, since the more specific you make things the clearer it is for those of us who have no idea about your application, your site, or your requirements to help you.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Re: How to sort alternate records

Postby dick scherrer » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:21 pm

Hello,

You need to post some sample input data and the output you want when this input data is processed.

Mention the recfm and lrecl of all files along with anu "rules" that are needed to process the data.
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Return to DFSORT/ICETOOL/ICEGENER