How to aware storage group about the used percent disk

IBM OS/370, MVS, OS/390, Linux, TPF, VM/CMS, VM/ESA, VSE/ESA, z/VM, z/VSE, z/OS, z/OS.e etc...

How to aware storage group about the used percent disk

Postby bahareh » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:16 pm

I am working on an IBM System Z10 with ZOS 1.12.
There is a backup procedure in our daily routine which the mentioned backup files reside in a SMS storage group. The related disks are shared with another Z10 machine.
The problem is here that we have to delete these backup files in another machine. Therefore the mentioned data sets are allocated in machine "A" and are deleted in machine "B". Just the related disks are shared between two machines.
In this situation, Machine "A" is not aware of deletion, hence the information of it's related storage group can not be updated after deletion. for example despite that all the files are deleted, but the used percent of storage group can not be updated and increases day by day. Because machine "A" just see allocation not deletion.
As a result after some days, according to the statistics, SMS can not manage volumes correctly for allocation as it thinks storage group is full.
1-I know the easiest way is to perform both allocation and deletion in the same machine but its not possible now the time.
2-Another simple way can be allocation and deletion of some temporary small data sets in all the related volumes in Machine "A" everyday. By this work, machine "A" can be aware of disks new status. But the storage group is SMS managed and to be able to allocate data sets on all volumes, we have to set " Guaranteed Space " to "YES" before allocation and set to "NO" after deletion. Each time a "setsms" command is necessary too, in order to activate new configuration.
But I'm worried to perform this everyday. Can anyone suggest a better solution?
You will never learn if you don't make mistakes!
bahareh

Re: How to aware storage group about the used percent disk

Postby expat » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:51 am

Is the SMS subsystem shared between the two LPARS

I have used DF/SMShsm before, one LPAR created backups to a given storage pool, and as this was time critical - both LPARs were used to migrate the dataset backups direct to ML2.
I cannot recall any problems with the setup at all.

A little confused as you say that one LPAR is not aware of datasets being deleted by the other. Surely both will update the VTOC ?
expat

Re: How to aware storage group about the used percent disk

Postby bahareh » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:08 pm

No, SMS is not shared. They are two completely separate machines. Just there are some shared disks between them. Nothing is shared more. We don't have LPARs.

VTOC is updated correctly. When I use MXI panel and see DASD statistics, every thing is correct. But Storage Group statistics is wrong. Because allocation is done in machine "A" and deletion in machine "B". Even machine "B" is not aware of allocation too.

In higher versions of ZOS there is a "/v sms" command which updates this information, but in ZOS 1.12 there is no command. Therefore I allocated and deleted some large data sets in the mentioned storage group in machine A manually. I saw that the storage group statistics updated and percent of used decreased.
I wanted to find a better way which I can add to our daily routine to update this statistics every day.
Maybe some settings between these machines which have shared disks is not correct.
Maybe in such a situation, we cannot expect more and the only way is to change our routine (perform deletion in machine A).
I hope I could explain better this time.
You will never learn if you don't make mistakes!
bahareh

Return to Operating Systems