Make an IPL from the console on a TEST system

IBM OS/370, MVS, OS/390, Linux, TPF, VM/CMS, VM/ESA, VSE/ESA, z/VM, z/VSE, z/OS, z/OS.e etc...

Make an IPL from the console on a TEST system

Postby curios13579 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:39 am

Hello there.
I have to make an IPL from the console on a TEST system and I don't know anyting about it. Were to start?, what to shutdown first?, what to shutdown last?, what to start first?, what to start last?, and so on....so if is anybody there who can help me with some explaining, with a command list or some references I would appreciate it very much! Thanks.
curios13579

Re: IPL

Postby dick scherrer » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:50 am

Hello,

Suggest you talk with the people who ipl the production system.

IPL procedures for all systems are typically documented and not done "on the fly". This is not a Windows environment.

Even people here who have procedures will not be able to tell you what should be done on your system - each ipl process is site/system-specific
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Re: Make an IPL from the console on a TEST system

Postby aquarius » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:51 pm

I really suspect whether your seniors have trained about the IPL or not. Basically IPL needs to be done as per the manual available at your site, which would have step wise shut down. Also, can you advice me whether you gonna do it for the first time in that LPAR, then you have to be aware about the type of IPL being performed on that LPAR. I would suggest you to contact your seniors to help you in this regard. It is not normal shutdown like windows....it is a mainframe that needs to be handled carefully !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
aquarius

Return to Operating Systems