Cancel Mainframe userid VIA windows command Prompt

IBM OS/370, MVS, OS/390, Linux, TPF, VM/CMS, VM/ESA, VSE/ESA, z/VM, z/VSE, z/OS, z/OS.e etc...

Cancel Mainframe userid VIA windows command Prompt

Postby jaggz » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:23 pm

HI Group,

Like how we perform FTP operation.Is it possible to cancel the mainframe userid Using Command prompt from the windows by logging to that target IP(Lpar).
jaggz

Re: Cancel Mainframe userid VIA windows command Prompt

Postby enrico-sorichetti » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:17 pm

even if it is possible to submit console commands thru jcl,
all the proper authorizations have to be granted

most sites disallow commands thru jcl as a general policy!
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort
enrico-sorichetti
Global moderator

Postby dick scherrer » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:00 am

Hello,

Why might you want to cancel a mainframe session from a command prompt on a pc. . . IMHO, this makes no sense.

Why might the organization permit this. . .

Every mainframe i have ever worked on (more than 250) have system support ids and operations ids that have the capability to cancel "things" on the mainframe. This capability is seldom used. Many organizations require a "trouble ticket" be generated for anything that is canceled.

And you want to issue a cancel from outside the system from a prompt on a pc - i surely hope not. . .

d
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby Akatsukami » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:56 am

I think that I must differ with you here. In my shop, we can cancel our own mainframe sessions from the intranet (not, perhaps, exactly what jaggz is looking for, but close enough), thus minimizing the number of calls the service desk gets from -- ahem! -- not ideally competent system analysts. I do not, alas, know any of the details, but such a thing is doable and done.
"You have sat too long for any good you have been doing lately ... Depart, I say; and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!" -- what I say to a junior programmer at least once a day
Akatsukami
Global moderator

Postby dick scherrer » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:55 am

Hello,

I probably should have provided more of an explanation. . . :oops:

Many places allow developers to cancel their own "things" (in non-production envronments). I see no problem with this. If there is a process in place to equate the pc user to the mainframe "thing" to be canceled, i have no problem with this - especially if this process logs who canceled what. I do have a problem with someone being able to enter "some command" at a pc prompt and cancel "something" on the mainframe.

Personally, i believe that if "they" have to get assistance to cancel somthing sloppy that "runs away", "they" need to receive some flack. . . As with puppies, kittens, and small children this negative reinforcement can positively influence their behavior. If it remains trivial (and with no penalty) to do sloppy work and then never hear about it, what might encourage some kind of improvement in the way they work?

I believe time would be much better spent showing the "not ideally competent system analysts" better ways to do their work. Admitedly, i expect a lot from IT people, but i've found that most can learn to work more effectively and only follow poor procedures because they have not been taught anything better . . .
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby jaggz » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:29 pm

Well accepted. My early post just says that whether it is
possible
, but not making it as a standard practice.
jaggz

Postby dick scherrer » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:54 am

Hello,

Nearly anything is possible given enough knowledge, time, and authorization/permissions. . .

Many things that are possible should still not be done. . .

When a question is asked about if something can be done, i tend to reply based on whether this thing should be done. Especially when the audience is expected to be students and other people with limited experience.
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Return to Operating Systems