SMTP Routing Problem

IBM OS/370, MVS, OS/390, Linux, TPF, VM/CMS, VM/ESA, VSE/ESA, z/VM, z/VSE, z/OS, z/OS.e etc...

SMTP Routing Problem

Postby harryseldon » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:33 pm

I have two LPARS, a production and a test. Production SMTP outbound mail works without errors. I recently set up SMTP on the test LPAR. When I initiate an outbound message from the test system, it's being handled by the production LPAR. I found that the logs in the test smtp job were empty and found the relevant entries in the production smtp job logs. I've checked my test smtpconf member and there are no entries that reference the production LPAR. I've looked through the members allocated when the test smtp job starts and there are no production references there, either. Has anyone seen anything like this before or know what's wrong? I'm stumped.
harryseldon

Re: SMTP Routing Problem

Postby Robert Sample » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:53 pm

Do you have LISTENONADDRESS specified in your SMTPCONF for either production or test LPAR? That's my first candidate for causing problems!
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby harryseldon » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:08 pm

I don't have that in either config member. There's no internal routing on smtp messages on these lpars; everything is outbound. It's baffling. I feel like I'm missing something obvious.
harryseldon

Postby harryseldon » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:11 pm

I've also read about differing ways to configure smtp, using omvs or mvs. I've checked the omvs volumes for both lpars and neither has /etc/mail set up or sendmail.cf copied from the sample configuration files under /usr/lpp.
harryseldon

Postby Robert Sample » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:32 am

Do a NETSTAT CONN on both LPARs and look for something like:
 EZZ2350I MVS TCP/IP NETSTAT CS V1Rn       TCPIP Name: TCPIP           19:56:57
 EZZ2585I User Id  Conn     Local Socket           Foreign Socket         State
 EZZ2586I -------  ----     ------------           --------------         -----
 EZZ2587I SMTP     000D8C52 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx..25    0.0.0.0..0             Listen
If the xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is 0.0.0.0, I would add LISTENONADDRESS to both configurations -- 0.0.0.0 means to listen ON ALL IP ADDRESSES that the LPAR can get to; that may not be what you need.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby harryseldon » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:45 am

Both listeners are set for 0.0.0.0. So, if I change both jobs to use the primary IP address as the listener address it should keep my lpars from crossing their proverbial beams and prevent the end of the world? I think I can give it a shot. I won't be able to test until next week so my change request can go through the proper channels. I'll post back with the results as soon as I can get them in place and tested.
harryseldon

Return to Operating Systems