Changing the lnklst Search order

Ask about System customization & performance, Workload management, I/O device configuration etc.

Changing the lnklst Search order

Postby jaggz » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:38 pm

Hello,

I have created a system load module and placed in a seperate PDS. I am expecting to keep my newly created dataset ahead of SYS1.LINKLIB under PROGxx(LNKLST). Could someone please shed some light changing the search order so that my dataset gets read first followed by LINKLIB,CSSLIB and MIGLIB.

Please provide me some pointers on the above.

Jags
jaggz

Re: Changing the lnklst Search order

Postby enrico-sorichetti » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:53 pm

I have created a system load module and placed in a seperate PDS. I am expecting to keep my newly created dataset ahead of SYS1.LINKLIB under PROGxx(LNKLST). Could someone please shed some light changing the search order so that my dataset gets read first followed by LINKLIB,CSSLIB and MIGLIB.

on a professional forum nobody with a bit of good sense will tell You how to endanger the integrity of Your system :geek:

and ... You AUDIT departement might get royally p***ed by You doing it !
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort
enrico-sorichetti
Global moderator

Postby jaggz » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:55 pm

Hey,

i totally agree with your points. I am a playing around with my test system NOT PRODUCTION.
jaggz

Postby enrico-sorichetti » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:59 pm

Hey,

hey to whom... I am not Your dog :evil:
learn the good manners please

You might be doing it on You sandbox... but somebody else might carry on the suggestion in more dangerous places.
why not look at the manuals Yourself ???
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort
enrico-sorichetti
Global moderator

Postby jaggz » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:05 pm

Hello Encrico,

Apology for addressing by "Hey". Yes I will definetly look at the manuals but just thought of getting experts opinion from you and other mainframe gurus in our forum.

Jags
jaggz

Postby Robert Sample » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:30 pm

I am expecting to keep my newly created dataset ahead of SYS1.LINKLIB under PROGxx(LNKLST).
You may be expecting this, but IBM tells you that this cannot be done in section 75.4 of the 1.13 MVS Initialization and Tuning Reference manual:
A LNKLST set consists of an ordered list of data sets for processing as the LNKLST concatenation. Every LNKLST set contains the LINKLIB, MIGLIB, CSSLIB, LINKLIBE, and MIGLIBE data sets as the first data sets in the LNKLST concatenation. Unless overridden by SYSLIB statements, every LNKLST set begins with:

SYS1.LINKLIB
SYS1.MIGLIB
SYS1.CSSLIB
SYS1.SIEALNKE
SYS1.SIEAMIGE

The system automatically adds these data sets to the beginning of the LNKLST set that you define
and in the same section:
You can add a data set to any LNKLST set that you define and specify the position of the data set in the list, however an alias cannot be added for the LNKLST created at IPL. You cannot add the data set before any of the system default data sets in the concatenation; that is, you can only concatenate the data set after the CSSLIB data set in the LNKLST set.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby jaggz » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:48 pm

Dear Robert,

I am using LNKLSTxx for the linklist datasets I have specified my own PDS at top position but still after IPL my Dataset is not read at first instead in the DISPLAY output it is listed at 6th order.

Jags
jaggz

Postby Robert Sample » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:51 pm

You are seeing what IBM says in the manual: the first few (five under 1.13) data sets are the system libraries, and you CANNOT, under any circumstances, place your load library ahead of them in the linklist concatenation. If you try to do so, IBM will automatiically add the system libraries ahead of yours.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby nevilh » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:14 pm

You can achieve what you want by adding the following statement to the progxx member
SYSLIB LINKLIB(dsname).
This is a standard z/OS feature and has existed at least 10 years.
nevilh

Return to System programming