Inconsistencies on dataset level

Post anything related to mainframes (IBM & UNISYS) if not fit in any of the above categories

Inconsistencies on dataset level

Postby ibmuser05 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:00 pm

Hi,

Does any1 know the big inconsistencies on dataset level? I would like to produce a report out of that.

Tnx
ibmuser05

Re: Inconsistencies on dataset level

Postby prino » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:32 pm

Yes, some have 12 levels and others only three, but that's the same difference anyway.

And you are paid to produce this kind of nonsense?
Robert AH Prins
robert.ah.prins @ the.17+Gb.Google thingy
prino

Postby steve-myers » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:42 pm

Mr. Prins is correct. What do you mean by "big inconsistencies on dataset level?" Are you asking about a data set name? Or are you asking about the contents of a data set?

A data set name is relatively simple. It has 1 to 44 characters; it is usually divided into several "index levels," separated by a period (.) character, like SYS1.LINKLIB. Each "index level" in turn, consists of 1 to 8 roman characters, "national" characters, or numeric characters. The first character must be a roman character or a "national" character. "National" characters vary; in the United States they are usually considered to be $, # or @.
steve-myers
Global moderator

Postby NicC » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:11 pm

Welcome to the forum. Just so as you know, you should avoid using SMS type abbreviations (e.g any1). You have, presumably, a full keyboard so it is not difficult to write properly. Members appreciate it. Also, what is a standard abbreviation for you may not be for someone else. Thanks.
The problem I have is that people can explain things quickly but I can only comprehend slowly.
Regards
Nic
NicC
Global moderator

Postby ibmuser05 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:10 pm

Sorry for the inconvenience I am new to this. My general goal is to create automated routines that will check if there are any inconsistencies on dataset level ( like check the master catalog with the VTOC entries or check when a dataset is full so it can be extended,..). Anything that has impact on the system. My question is, what inconsistencies are there and the important ones that have huge impact on the system. Thanks
ibmuser05

Postby BillyBoyo » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:17 pm

Just talk to your Storage Team, they already have all they need for this.
BillyBoyo
Global moderator

Return to All other Mainframe Topics