can we automate a process

Post anything related to mainframes (IBM & UNISYS) if not fit in any of the above categories

can we automate a process

Postby rahul2825 » Thu May 21, 2009 3:41 pm

i have a process which requires me going and checking for a GDG daily mon-sat at specific time and then run a job1 which gives another gdg file1

if gdg file1 is empty then i need to RUN job3 instead of job2
if gdg file1 is not empty then i need to Clist the file and then RUN job2 and then run a connect direct .

then i will run job3 and it gives a gdg2 and if its empty then no need to run job4
if its not enpty then run clist the file and run job 4 and then run conenct direct job.

can we do it and if yes how can we do it any suggestion this wjole process takes 15 min.
rahul2825

Re: can we automate a process

Postby MrSpock » Thu May 21, 2009 3:51 pm

Sounds doable for most of it. Some SORT steps to set a return-code for an empty file, some IF/THEN/ELSE logic, some dynamic job submissions.
MrSpock
Global moderator

Postby rahul2825 » Fri May 22, 2009 2:04 pm

thank you very much i will start to work on those lines once iam done i i will let you know.

but could you please tell how can we submit a dynamic job. and once we have the job for whole process how can we schedule it everyday at a specific time.
rahul2825

Postby dick scherrer » Fri May 22, 2009 2:33 pm

Hello,

Simply SUBMIT the job(s) once it has been determined what is needed for this run. This the same as when you submit manually - it is just included in your new process to be automatic.

The base job that dynamically submits the others should be put on the production schedule.
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Return to All other Mainframe Topics