7040-61R - Intro and question

Post anything related to mainframes (IBM & UNISYS) if not fit in any of the above categories

7040-61R - Intro and question

Postby donovanbrooke » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:09 pm

Hello.

I'm in an intriguing position to acquire what I think is a P670 or P690 eServer mainframe to be put in a local data center (couldn't find the exact number). I say intriguing because I have a small web hosting side to my business and I could acquire this unit for only $500 (to be added to my co-lo data center area... so in other words, I have a place to put it... and if I were to get it working, I'd have a use for it. )

Brief specs:
- 8 X 1.5Ghz proc's
- 48GB RAM
- (2XLPAR)
- 2 X DVD RAM drives
- Quite a few GB NIC's
etc.

- No HD's in the Hot Swapable Drive Bay!
- No Power cord.

Anyway, I wanted to bring this situation to you (more knowledgeable) folks to see what you might have to say about it. :-).

It looks to be in good shape other than missing it's power cord and HD's.

My immediate thoughts are that it may be a pain having to deal with learning the OS, purchasing new HD's and a Power Cord just to learn if it works. ;-) However, on the flip side, even if I gut it, I would have a $500 42U rack.. which is pretty cheap (though I guess I would have to buy 23" to 19" adapters).

TIA for your comments.

Donovan
donovanbrooke

Re: 7040-61R - Intro and question

Postby dick scherrer » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:23 am

Hello and welcome to the forum,

Are there any "site-prep" considerations. Some hardware has heat/himidity requirements. Some does have power requirements.

Have you priced the missing power cord?

Which operating systems does this support - which do you plan to use?

Depending on just how you want to use this, there may be licensing fees to consider.
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Return to All other Mainframe Topics