can i install Z/OS

Post anything related to mainframes (IBM & UNISYS) if not fit in any of the above categories

can i install Z/OS

Postby kashif » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:37 am

hi i am a novice to ibm mainframes, and i really want to learn this operating system, by any chance can i download it to my laptop, or is there any simulation of IBM mainframe platform, just like cygwin for linux.
kashif

Re: can i install Z/OS

Postby Robert Sample » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:46 am

Hercules is a mainframe emulator that you can download and install on a laptop. It requires an operating system -- and MVS is available to install on it. All recent IBM operating systems, such as z/OS, are under copy right and IBM requires signing strict licensing agreements -- which prohibit installation of z/OS, for example, on anything but a z/architecture mainframe. As far as I know, the only legal way at this time to install z/OS on a laptop is to become an IBM development partner and purchase the laptop with z/OS from IBM (the cost is supposed to be about $20,000 US dollars).
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby dick scherrer » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:08 am

Hello and welcome to the forum,

If you are completely new to the mainframe, you will find installing Hercules and then MVS quite a challange. The people i know who have done this smoothly already knew very much about the mainframe before they began. . .

You can find lots of informaton at the Hercules site (Google for hercules emulator and it will probably be the first "hit". There is also a Hercules Support link there.

If you successfully install Herecules and the free MVS, you will be able to see many of the current mainframe features. Learning your way around the environment will be quite informative and if you go to work on a current level system, you will have a "jump start".

There are a few members of our forum who are running Hercules at home and will answer particular questions posted here. So far, i am not yet one of them - maybe next year<g>.

Good luck :)
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby enrico-sorichetti » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:36 am

So far, i am not yet one of them - maybe next year<g>.

I' ll be glad to help You !

even with the limitation of an older system MVS 3.8 is still a very good playground for people willing to learn
see for example ...
http://www.jaymoseley.com/hercules/
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort
enrico-sorichetti
Global moderator

Postby dick scherrer » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:31 am

I' ll be glad to help You !
Thanks, Enrico!

I'll surely take you up on the offer when i do this :)

d
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Return to All other Mainframe Topics