RACF CPU consumption

Post anything related to mainframes (IBM & UNISYS) if not fit in any of the above categories

RACF CPU consumption

Postby aprasad » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:58 pm

Hi,

I need to know how to the CPU consumption of a RACF ID on a periodic basis. I would need this for some demand management activity in our team.
kindly help me with this.

Thanks,
Prasad
aprasad

Re: RACF CPU consumption

Postby Robert Sample » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:22 am

I need to know how to the CPU consumption of a RACF ID on a periodic basis.
Do you mean the CPU consumption of the TSO user id associated with the RACF id?
Do you mean the batch job CPU comsumption of all batch jobs run with USER= pointing to the RACF user id?
Do you mean something else you haven't explained?

Work with your site support group on this one -- CPU consumption data is typically found in the SMF data, and unless your site is using something like MICS or MXG, you may not have access to the SMF data and will certainly have difficulty in interpreting it correctly.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby steve-myers » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:34 am

It's actually quite difficult to measure RACF usage since most of it is initiated by a program operation that requires some sort of RACF activity such as opening a dataset, or logging into the system, or activity to report RACF database contents or update the RACF database. I don't recall ever seeing studies that attempted to measure RACF utilization because so much of it is unpredictable.
steve-myers
Global moderator

Postby enrico-sorichetti » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:40 am

need to know how to the CPU consumption of a RACF ID on a periodic basis. I would need this for some demand management activity in our team.
the issue is not security related
it' s just a topic started in the wrong place, the TS wants simply do some resource accounting based on the RACF userid
the best place to ask would be the support group <responsible> for system accounting ( real or virtual )
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort
enrico-sorichetti
Global moderator

Postby aprasad » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:28 pm

Sorry that i posted the question on a wrong place.
Steve/Robert,
Our client is able to measure the RACF consumption for a TSO ID on periodic basis.
I heard that there are some REXX/SAS codes for this.
Can some one help me with this.

Thanks,
Prasad
aprasad

Postby enrico-sorichetti » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:39 pm

not only You posted in the wrong place, You still keep on using the wrong terminology!

You can measure, CPU, REAL STORAGE USED, VIRTUAL STORAGE USED, IO' s, DATASET SPACE, ...

RACF cannot be measured! if You want good answers, learn to ask properly!

if Your client has the procedure in place ask him/it , why ask on a forum?
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort
enrico-sorichetti
Global moderator

Postby Robert Sample » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:56 pm

Can some one help me with this.
You have been given LOTS of help, but you don't recognize that.

Our client is able to measure the RACF consumption for a TSO ID on periodic basis.
Then you need to go back to the client and find out from them just exactly what is being measured, what is being consumed, and what the "periodic basis" is (hourly, daily, weekly, monthly, yearly, SMF interval, or what?) and without knowing details like this, we cannot provide any better or clearer answers to you.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby enrico-sorichetti » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:47 pm

most probably the TS does not realize that RACF ID is the same as TSO ID

and running the client reports, using any valid RACF ID will give the info requested!
( if the RACF ID provided makes sense )
cheers
enrico
enrico-sorichetti
Global moderator

Return to All other Mainframe Topics