insert mode

Post anything related to mainframes (IBM & UNISYS) if not fit in any of the above categories

insert mode

Postby clrgq » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:39 am

hey guys i know this is a really simple question but i cant seem to be able to figure out how to turn on "insert" in the mainframe.
basically i dont want to overtype in the codes. if i want to add something to a line I want it to automatically make space and not just overtype onto what's already there
clrgq

Re: insert mode

Postby steve-myers » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:27 am

Actually, this is not a mainframe issue; it's an issue with your terminal emulator, unless, of course, you are one of the few people using a real IBM terminal.

Most likely, on your keyboard, there is a key labelled "Insert." Press that key, and it should place your terminal emulator into its "insert" mode. Move your cursor to the appropriate place and start typing. Press the "Insert" key again to exit insert mode.
steve-myers
Global moderator

Postby steve-myers » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:50 am

The "Insert" key may also be labelled "Ins."
steve-myers
Global moderator

Postby NicC » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:45 am

It also has nothing to do with Job Control Language. Topic moved to a more relevant area.
The problem I have is that people can explain things quickly but I can only comprehend slowly.
Regards
Nic
NicC
Global moderator

Postby dick scherrer » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:46 pm

Hello,

If you "insert" characters, there must be "insertable" space remaining in the field. If the field has data (and spaces ARE data) til the end of the field, insert may not work. Your terminal will also have an "Erase - end of field" (often the "End" key) to clear the right side of a screen field.
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Return to All other Mainframe Topics