AFP Formdef question

Post anything related to mainframes (IBM & UNISYS) if not fit in any of the above categories

AFP Formdef question

Postby TStewart » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:20 am

Hello, I hope this is the proper forum for this question since I did not find a better one.

I am in the process of creating an application that generates an AFP datastream that will contain a number of different forms that are not in any particular order. The AFP resource person here tells me that all of the formdefs have to be stored in one PDS member so they can be referenced in the JCL stream as shown here.

//PRINT    OUTPUT DATACK=UNBLOCK,FORMDEF=MVPRNT,PAGEDEF=MVPRNT,   
//         USERLIB=('MV.AFP.USERLIB')                             

This then also means that every time one formdef changes, the one module containing all formdefs gets recompiled, and moved to production after testing. My concern with this is I do not like the idea of recompiling potentially hundreds of modules that were not supposed to change just to get the one that did change into production.

We will be using StreamWeaver to do the print step, the JCL statement above comes from that step. Is there a way to not have to recompile everything when changing only one formdef? Is there a way to do this using only IBM products? Is this the preferred way to implement formdefs?

Thank you in advance for your help.
TStewart

Re: AFP Formdef question

Postby Peter_Mann » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:24 pm

Ts, I've never heard of the requirement (every time one formdef changes, the one module containing all formdefs gets recompiled), but I've never used a USERLIB statement, I've alway's been able to compile or generate into the site customized formdef/pagdef library, from the Z/os 1.12 and 1.13 JCL Reference Guide, it appears you can specify more that one USERLIB seperated by a comma.
HTH's
Peter
Peter_Mann

Return to All other Mainframe Topics