How Many Types of Emulators?

Discuss about all tools related to Mainframes but usable in a PC/Computer like Mainframe Simulators, Emulators, Abend Assist etc...

How Many Types of Emulators?

Postby madhu_vishnu7 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:28 pm

pl Provide the Information about the Emulator ? and How many Types of Empulator in mainframes Technologies .
Give some Complete Information about Emultors .

Do u know the vista Emulator ? its free emulator in mainframes. like how many emulators in mainframes .

Ibm is using which type of Emulator ?
madhu_vishnu7

Re: How Many Types of Emulators?

Postby enrico-sorichetti » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:40 pm

why not carry on a bit of research Yourself ?
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort
enrico-sorichetti
Global moderator

Postby dick scherrer » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:07 am

Hello and welcome to the forum,

There are thousands of emulators. . . Some act like they are an actual mainframe. Some act like they are a 327x-type terminal. Some act like they are some other kind of terminal.

If you clarify what you really want to know after doing some research, someone here may be able to provide something more useful.
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby DOS/VS COBOL Guy » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:19 am

dick scherrer wrote:Hello and welcome to the forum,

There are thousands of emulators. . . Some act like they are an actual mainframe. Some act like they are a 327x-type terminal. Some act like they are some other kind of terminal.

If you clarify what you really want to know after doing some research, someone here may be able to provide something more useful.

Hercules 3.07, when used with HercGUI, HercPrt and a touchscreen monitor gives you about as close to a "real iron" experience as is possible to get today. You can dial your load unit addreee and press the blue "LOAD" button with your fingers to IPL the system just like a real mainframe. Other tasks, shuch as mounting tapes and loading card readers while not as realistic as the IPL procedure I described, still have a mainframe feel to it. Hercules is fantastic software. If anyone has anything that offers an even more authentic user experience, I'd like to see it!!!
DOS/VS COBOL Guy

Postby steve-myers » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:00 pm

Historically, there have been many emulators around that do various things. How many? I don't know and will not speculate. Emulators can be in both hardware and software.

There was a mostly forgotten (now) package to emulate System/360 on 709x.

I think there were several emulators for various things on IBM 1130. I'm pretty sure there was a 1620 emulator for the 1130, but I don't know the details very well.

Early in System/360 there were emulators for 14xx second generation equipment using emulation in hardware. These were pretty poor stuff. You used the entire System/360 to emulate the 14xx machine. The 14xx emulators were on lower end System/360 models like the Model 30 and Model 40.

System/360 Model 65 could emulate higher end second generation machines like the 709x or the 7080. As with 14xx emulation, this emulation ran standalone.

In the early 1970s I encountered a software only emulation of 14xx machines that ran as a job step on System/370 machines.

In addition, System/370 Model 165 and Model 168 offered emulation of 7080 or 709x. These emulations required hardware assists, but ran as job steps in OS/360, OS/VS2 Release 1 and MVS so a single job could intermix emulation and much more efficient System/360 functions like sorting in a single job. There was also a hardware feature for some System/370 models that allowed DOS/360 to run inside OS/360, OS/VS2 Rel 1 or MVS.

In emulation we cannot forget Operating Systems like CP/67 on System/360 Model 67. One of the original ideas was to "emulate" regular System/360 machines, though sometimes with larger defined storage emulated using virtual memory. I believe some users found it was better to run multiple OS/360 PCP systems in CP/67 than to run the same workload under OS/360 MFT or MVT. Later it was altered to "emulate" CP/67 itself to allow new versions of CP/67 to be tested under a production CP/67, though the emulated system suffered a large performance "hit." Still later it was used to "emulate" first version System/370 systems. CP/67 was so successful IBM turned it into a fully supported product called VM/370 when second generation System/370 with virtual memory appeared.

Now we have emulation products for PC type equipment like PC/370 and Hercules that emulate Z series mainframe systems, as well as System/370 equipment types that are not provided on Z series systems. You can IPL OS/360 in Hercules, which cannot be done on real Z series machines.
steve-myers
Global moderator

Postby tmjarin » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:09 pm

Is it possible to install the emulator in windows Machine and using it???
tmjarin

Postby tmjarin » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:12 pm

I want to learn about all z/os functions. Can i learn only from emulator without mainframe connections..
tmjarin

Postby enrico-sorichetti » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:57 pm

Is it possible to install the emulator in windows Machine and using it???

what/which emulator are You referring to

a Yes/no question deserves a Yes/no answers ( even id the question is badly posed)

YES!
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort
enrico-sorichetti
Global moderator

Postby NicC » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:54 am

tmjarin wrote:I want to learn about all z/os functions. Can i learn only from emulator without mainframe connections..

Yes, if you are prepared to pay the $$$ for the z/OS as it is NOT free.
Yes, if you use an illegal version of z/OS - this is ILLEGAL

Otherwise, NO
The problem I have is that people can explain things quickly but I can only comprehend slowly.
Regards
Nic
NicC
Global moderator

Postby steve-myers » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:25 am

tmjarin wrote:I want to learn about all z/os functions. ...
Well, there's an optimist! I've been learning z/OS and its ancestors for 40+ years, and I don't know it all!
steve-myers
Global moderator

Next

Return to Simulators & Emulators