Best way to learn DB2?

Best way to learn DB2?

Postby Srikanth.A.P » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:01 pm

Hello everyone,

I have just started learning DB2. It would be helpful if somebody can suggest me the best to start about and learning material or books which i can refer.
If possible can somebody also suggest me whether it would be preferable to concentrate on basics of programming first or the basic process taking place in the backend or simultaneously both.
Srikanth.A.P

Re: Best way to learn DB2?

Postby MrSpock » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:13 pm

The best way to learn about any product is to sign-up and register for the Vendor's officially-sponsored training sessions. With a product like DB2, there are probably many third-party training companies that can provide the same hands-on training either onsite or at their facility. I'd check with your supervisor or manager and see what's available and officially recognized for technical training.
MrSpock
Global moderator

Postby Srikanth.A.P » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:45 pm

Thanks for the suggestion :) .
Currently i do not have access to that nor my daily schedule permits that :cry: . All i have access to is a PC connected to mainframe,internet and library. I have to go with self learning for now. Kindly suggest me what to do.
Srikanth.A.P

Postby MrSpock » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:20 am

Well, then I guess the next best thing is to sign up for a Computer Based Training (CBT) course from a reputable provider.
MrSpock
Global moderator

Postby CICS Guy » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:40 am

Or just start experimenting....
Doesn't IBM have a downloadable PC version for cheap?
CICS Guy

Postby Srikanth.A.P » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:13 am

I have in fact started experimenting but thought may be some material or reference would be better to have as a guide. But i find lot of material all on DB2 but each one has different purpose not understanding which one to use. I am cobol programmer learning DB2 with a perspective of using it on a mainframe. I started by learning how compilation and the back end works during execution on a high level. Then started with using SPUFI and simultaneously trying hand at COBOL-DB2 programming. If anybody can please suggest me a reference material or book.
Srikanth.A.P

Postby arunprasad.k » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:21 pm

arunprasad.k

Return to FAQ