How to determine if OS VS COBOL programs are running in LE

Support for OS/VS COBOL, VS COBOL II, COBOL for OS/390 & VM and Enterprise COBOL for z/OS

How to determine if OS VS COBOL programs are running in LE

Postby ramkumar1992sp » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:42 am

Hi Experts,
My Shop has an bunch of batch jobs that executes OS VS COBOL programs which in turn calls Assembler programs.The Assembler programs have been converted to Enterprise COBOL.Eventually all these OS VS COBOL too would be converted to Enterprise COBOL programs.It looks like there shouldnt be an issue with OS VS Cobol programs calling Enterprise COBOL as long as its under Language Environment..

How can I determine if this batch application is under language Environment.Can I determine it by looking at compile jobs?

Thanks,
Ram Kumar
ramkumar1992sp

Re: How to determine if OS VS COBOL programs are running in

Postby BillyBoyo » Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:38 pm

Calls to COBOL Library Routines under Language Environment will use IGZ prefixes, not under Language Environment will use ILBO.

You could browse the loadmodules to see if you see ILBO.

You could also add a CEEOPTS DD statement to a step executing the program, and produce a report (like listing the option values for the environment). If the report is produced, it is running LE. If it is not, it is not. Probably many other ways.

These users thanked the author BillyBoyo for the post:
ramkumar1992sp (Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:15 pm)
BillyBoyo
Global moderator

Postby ramkumar1992sp » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:16 pm

Thanks BillyBoyo.I will check this out on Monday.

Thanks,
Ram Kumar
ramkumar1992sp

Postby ramkumar1992sp » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:16 pm

Hello,

I looked at the load modules of OS VS COBOL programs and found ILBO,so it looks the OS VS Cobol are not under LE.The load modules of Enterprise COBOL has IGZ* in them so it looks like Enterprise COBOL programs are under LE and also the report was not created using CEEOPTS.

As per the below document ,it doesn't mention anything about the necessity of being LE compliant to make call from OS VS to Enterprise COBOL .
http://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecen ... ym1apa.htm

"Can OS/VS COBOL and VS COBOL II programs call Enterprise COBOL programs?
On non-CICS, any calls between OS/VS COBOL, VS COBOL II, and Enterprise COBOL are supported."

So can you please confirm if the programs needn't be LE compliant to make call between different versions? I thought I read this somewhere.

Currently we are able to dynamically call Enterprise COBOL programs from OS VS programs and it seems to be working fine.

Thanks,
Ram Kumar
ramkumar1992sp

Postby BillyBoyo » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:50 am

I think prior to V5 of Enterprise COBOL you can do that. From V5 onwards, you can't, you'd have to recompile the OS/VS programs.

Bear in mind that there are some benefits in recompiling. Also be careful which library to use. Some run-time routines have the same names, but are different. You can trip on that one. Read the Migration Guide thoroughly.

These users thanked the author BillyBoyo for the post:
ramkumar1992sp (Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:46 am)
BillyBoyo
Global moderator

Postby ramkumar1992sp » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:47 am

Thank you BillyBoyo.
ramkumar1992sp

Return to IBM Cobol