Character set which z/os Support

Support for OS/VS COBOL, VS COBOL II, COBOL for OS/390 & VM and Enterprise COBOL for z/OS

Character set which z/os Support

Postby Shakti Hazaru » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:59 pm

Hi All,

Can you please help me on how to display the Euro symbol in the mainframe flat file?

There is a column in the db2 table which can store the value with the Euro sign. When I query the column using IBM Data studio it is able to display the Euro sign, where as when I query the column in File-Aid I can only see a blank.
also when I unload the data from the table iinto a flat file it is filled with a blank field.

IBM datastudio:

1> SELECT CASE_NO, ADD_INFORMATION1_TX FROM TEST_RTRV_REQ_INQ where case_no='D0t7e' with ur
2> go
 CASE_NO          ADD_INFORMATION1_TX
 ---------------- -------------------------------
 D0t7e            H€îîÔ This is SË côrrëspôndénce

On mainframe:

ADD_INFORMATION1_TX            
VC(6800)                        
----+---10----+---20----+---30--
H.îîÔ This is SË côrrëspôndénce

please advise.

Thanks,
Shakti.

Coded and split
Shakti Hazaru

Re: Character set which z/os Support

Postby Akatsukami » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:25 pm

My advice, Shakti-chan, is:
  1. Do not append your request to a five-year-old thread; start a new one.
  2. Do include code, data, and anything for which alignment may be significant in Code tags.
  3. Determine what code pages contain the € glyph and how to use them.
"You have sat too long for any good you have been doing lately ... Depart, I say; and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!" -- what I say to a junior programmer at least once a day

These users thanked the author Akatsukami for the post:
Shakti Hazaru (Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:59 am)
Akatsukami
Global moderator

Postby steve-myers » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:00 am

X'9E' is usually the EBCDIC bits for the Euro glyph.
steve-myers
Global moderator

Postby Shakti Hazaru » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:50 am

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the response, I have manually edited the flat file in hex format with X'9E' now I can see the below in the file.

HÆîîÔ This is SË correspondence.

While unloading the data from a table to the file, is there anything that we need to take care to write the Euro glyph properly in the flat file?
instead we manually edit the file?
Please advise.

Thanks,
Shakti.
Shakti Hazaru

Postby steve-myers » Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:34 am

Shakti Hazaru wrote:While unloading the data from a table to the file, is there anything that we need to take care to write the Euro glyph properly in the flat file?
instead we manually edit the file?
Please advise.

By "table," I presume you mean a DB2 table that contains rows with the Euro glyph in them. Sadly, I am no DB2 expert, but I think the unload process will just copy the Euro glyph. The only way is to unload the table and find out.

When you edit the data you might see something like this when you use the ISPF hex option.
EURO Æ
CEDD49
54960E

I am using Verson 4.8.3 of the QWS3270 PLUS terminal emulator which actually attempts to display something that sort of resembles the Euro glyph. What other emulators do, or (more usually) don't do, I can't say.
steve-myers
Global moderator

Postby Robert Sample » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:09 am

A code page is the assigned meanings for the 256 (in EBCDIC -- this can be more or less depending upon what you're referring to) bit patterns that make up the collating sequence. EBCDIC uses two primary code pages, 1047 and 037. 037 has teh Euro symbol while 1047 does not. Hence you need to ensure that File Aid and the process writing your data into a data set (it is NOT a "flat file" -- files on z/OS only exist on tape and within Unix System Services) are using 037; I suspect you're getting the blanks because they are using 1047.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Return to IBM Cobol