How to find program/copybook name from a file

Support for OS/VS COBOL, VS COBOL II, COBOL for OS/390 & VM and Enterprise COBOL for z/OS

How to find program/copybook name from a file

Postby aditya.vartak » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:26 pm

Hi

I would like to know, how can I find a program name from a given file name ?

ex : I have a file name : PCPS.NDM.PCPSMIPR.NCONSENT.RETURN

Now I want to trace a program name in which this is getting created. Getting a name of the program will help me to find the copy book layout structure of the file.

Thanks & Regards,
Aditya Vartak
aditya.vartak

Re: How to find program/copybook name from a file

Postby swd » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:36 pm

I am assuming that the program is executed from some JCL? This being the case, you can search your JCL libraries for this dataset name and find the JCL member that creates the dataset. You can then see what program is being executed, so you can look at that to find the copybook for the dataset.

Cheers
Steve
swd

Postby enrico-sorichetti » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:44 pm

but the fastest way would be to look at the application programming documentation
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort
enrico-sorichetti
Global moderator

Postby Anuj Dhawan » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:13 pm

I usually do it the way Steve has suggested, however, usually HLQs are symbolic parameters so if you search for a "qualified" DSN you might get out of luck - you may try searching for "sub-set" of data-set names...

On the other hand, SMF records will have the info which process has generated what Data/dat-set BUT for such a task working with SMF records, is probably, waste of time and should be last choice, if it is ever.
Anuj
Anuj Dhawan

Return to IBM Cobol