CICS / Batch file contention abend: IEC161I 052(013

Support for OS/VS COBOL, VS COBOL II, COBOL for OS/390 & VM and Enterprise COBOL for z/OS

CICS / Batch file contention abend: IEC161I 052(013

Postby MojoLizardSSS » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:37 pm

Hi,

Previously our batch ran at the end of the online day, after CICS had been closed. We now want to leave our online up for an extra hour, for enquiry only and start the batch while the online is still up.

To enable this we set all our files to 'read-only' in CICS before the batch starts, as so:
Fil(SEPENBL ) Vsa Ope Ena Rea Bro Sha
Dsn( SEY.USSET.SEPENBL )

All our files have ShareOptions (2,3) - so I believe this should allow the online to read the VSAM files, while the batch can update.

This is working ok in UAT, except for 3 jobs which are occasionally abending with this error:
IEC161I 052(013,USJCICS)-084,YNYLS79D,S010 NYLS79D,SEPENBL,,,
IEC161I SEY.USSET.SEPEN1B,SEY.USSET.SEPEN1B.D,ICFUCAT.VD009
Which I believe is basically saying that the batch job can't have update access to the VSAM file as CICS region USJ has already got update access to the file.

I've checked the file statuses in CICS at the time of the abends, they are still: Fil(SEPENBL ) Vsa Ope Ena Rea Bro Sha - so nothing has changed the file statuses to updateable again. Which was my first thought.

So +100 jobs work fine with this approach, but 3 jobs abend occasionally. Has anyone any ideas why?

The jobs that abend all get contention on VSAM files that have alternate index's. But they are all different files.
Two jobs complain about the alternate index, the 3rd job complains about the main clusters.
All files, alternate index's and associated files have ShareOption(2,3).

I'm guessing there is some other option in the file definition, or environment that is not compatible with sharing the files across CICS and batch - but what?

Any help would be much appreciated.
MojoLizardSSS

Re: contention,

Postby silambarasan » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:19 am

[b]what is mean by contention?[/b]
silambarasan

Re: CICS / Batch file contention abend: IEC161I 052(013

Postby dick scherrer » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:12 am

Hello and welcome to the forum,

Suggest you read about the IEC161i message to learn what "contention means to this topic:
http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/ ... 1/CONTENTS

I suspect the file will need to be closed . . .

A proper database implementation will prevent this problem.
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Return to IBM Cobol