New to Mainframe technology

Support for OS/VS COBOL, VS COBOL II, COBOL for OS/390 & VM and Enterprise COBOL for z/OS

New to Mainframe technology

Postby sivaaguruu » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:24 am

Hi All,

I am new to Mainframe technology but had attended a formal Mainframe training in my company. I have basic knowledge of JCL, COBOL but don't have hands on experience in any projects. Kindly help me by guiding to proceed further with the Mainframe.
sivaaguruu

Re: New to Mainframe technology

Postby BillyBoyo » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:39 am

Presumably your company is going to give you something to do. Have a go at it, with what you've learned and by using the manuals, searching with google, searching here.

If you get stuck, show how you are stuck, and we'll see how we can help.

In the meantime, drop in here regularly and read the questions/answers. Things you don't "get", try to check in the manual. Stick to Cobol and JCL forums to start with, expand as you get to other areas you are going to cover in your career.
BillyBoyo
Global moderator

Postby sivaaguruu » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:29 am

Thanks Billy.

I'm doing the same as u have mentioned above. I will get hands on experience in project only after few months. I can understand the concepts up to certain extent. Also, I would not get much Manframe exposure in my project, as I'm just going to assist my onsite Mainframe team with ticketing system.

But I like to learn Mainframe concepts well, which is not possible in the current project where I'm placed. I have read the COBOL and JCL manuals provided in the internet.

Kindly suggest how to start with the concepts and any chance to have hands on experience through the internet. I would to continue my career with the Mainframe.

Thanks in advance!!!
sivaaguruu

Postby dick scherrer » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:42 am

Hello,

Many organizations have some "sample projects" that new programmers must implement. This acquaints them with the "way things are done" within that organization (coding standards, dataset naming conventions, jcl stanbdards, promotion processes, etc). Possibly your organization has somethng similar.

Suggest you ask your manager or some other senior if such is available. Working on "your" system would be the most valuable.

I would not recommend trying to do this "via the internet". Even if yhou find some place that will permit you to connect, where would you get the specifications for the files and/or database tables you would use? The program specifications? Etc.
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby Monitor » Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:03 pm

IBM has some useful free offers for training and practical use of the z/OS environment.

- Pls have a look at IBM System z Course Materials for the Community - http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/z/educati ... l#BootCamp .
Tons of free courseware and also exercises (upon request), that may be useful.

- There is also a "Sandbox" solution for using IBM systems called Enterprise Modernization Sandbox for System z - http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/downl ... index.html that can be run from Windows using a Citrix client. Exercises to practice different environments are also available.

All for free - use whenever you like!
Monitor

Postby sivaaguruu » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:26 pm

Thanks Dick & Monitor for your valuable suggestions.

Dick,

In my organization, there is no such sample projects. I am the only guy who is yet to work on Mainframe environment(ticketing system) whereas other members are working in the different technology. But I can ask help from the senior who is working in the different project on Mainframe environment. Kindly guide me how to start with the Mainframe with my senior's help on his system.

Monitor,
I will start using the links provided above by you and kindly help me if there I find any difficulties/doubts on the same.

Thanks in advance!!!!
sivaaguruu

Postby sivaaguruu » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:32 am

Monitor,

I have tried to connect to Metaframe presentation by selecting desktop icon in the applications. But I get a error message like "Network connection to your application was interrupted". I don't know how to proceed further. Kindly help me to proceed further.

Thanks in advance!
sivaaguruu

Postby Monitor » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:33 am

I suggest you register as a member of the DeveloperWorks Forum. There is a link to the left on the first page (Forum) which takes you to another page where you can register. If you explore the developerworks pages, you will hopefully find the correct forum for your query.
Monitor

Postby sivaaguruu » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:32 am

Monitor,

Do you mean that I should clarify this issue in the DeveloperWorks Forum by posting the same in the developers forum? Have you worked in the Metaframe presentation.Also, kindly share your experience regarding the same.
sivaaguruu

Postby Monitor » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:13 pm

The DeveloperWorksForum is more correct, and run by IBM. I have used the Metaframe a couple of times, but have no in depth knowledge or experience. I beleive users of the services you are trying to use, post there queries and experience there.
Monitor

Next

Return to IBM Cobol