Export dataset contents to text file on PC

IBM's Command List programming language & Restructured Extended Executor

Export dataset contents to text file on PC

Postby NoSleep319 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:48 pm

I'm running Rumba at work, and I've been writing REXX to create reports across multiple systems. After the report is generated and stored under the admin's alias, I've been instructing them to use Rumba's Transfer Receive utility to export. I've notice the related command is as follows:

IND$FILE GET 'C02059.REXXLIB(DATAACC)' ASCII CRLF

How would I go about implementing this into the REXX code? I don't want to transfer over FTP...This function needs to be ran from the READY prompt, but if there are any other REXX based code that would start a transfer, I'm very open to opinion.
NoSleep319

Re: Export dataset contents to text file on PC

Postby Pedro » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:26 pm

From where would you manually issue this command?
IND$FILE GET 'C02059.REXXLIB(DATAACC)' ASCII CRLF
Pedro Vera
Pedro

Postby Terry Heinze » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:32 pm

Although I use Attachmate Reflection, I run FTPs from the =6 ISPF Command option:

Menu  List  Mode  Functions  Utilities  Help
 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 MNPC#1                        ISPF Command Shell
 Enter TSO or Workstation commands below:

===>

Place cursor on choice and press enter to Retrieve command

=> IND$FILE GET 'AABxxxx.AABxxxxx.REPORT(GROUPxx)' ASCII CRLF

It's not necessary to back all the way out to the READY prompt.
.... Terry
Terry Heinze

Postby steve-myers » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:45 pm

The IND$FILE command is prepared and internally sent to TSO by the terminal emulator when it is ready to handle a file transfer. You cannot enter it manually or through a Rexx EXEC or CLIST.

The IBM PCOMM terminal emulator, though no other terminal emulator I've ever encountered, provides the TRANSMIT and RECEIVE commands that can be entered from a Windoze command prompt or in a .BAT file.

I've had mixed success trying to do a file transfer in the ISPF command shell as proposed by Mr. Heinze. I don't even try any more; I just exit from ISPF. In addition, I've never had a file transfer work with a screen geometry that was not 24x80 or 43x80, but it has been more than 10 years since I last tried. Maybe the problem has been repaired.
steve-myers
Global moderator

Postby Terry Heinze » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:12 am

Steve, I didn't mean to imply that I key in the IND$FILE on the command line. I use the File dropdown supplied by Reflection, pick "Transfer", fill out the required fields and click on the icon indicating which direction I'm transferring. I posted the resulting ISPF screen after the transfer has run.
.... Terry
Terry Heinze

Postby steve-myers » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:27 am

Terry - I never thought you entered an IND$FILE command manually; the post was mostly targeted at the TS, not you, since the TS seems to be a beginner. What I wanted to say - more precisely - is that when I tried to do a 3270 file transfer when the session was in ISPF option 6, it has failed, usually for no reason I was ever able to deduce. I haven't tried this in many years - like some time in the 1990s,
steve-myers
Global moderator

Postby Pedro » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:15 pm

... if there are any other REXX based code that would start a transfer, I'm very open to opinion.

I would use ISPF's workstation agent to perform the data transfer. You have to start ISPF WSA first, but afterwards, you can do the rest from rexx on z/OS.
Pedro Vera
Pedro

Return to CLIST & REXX