reading a string by placing cursor on it

IBM's Command List programming language & Restructured Extended Executor

reading a string by placing cursor on it

Postby chintu » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:50 pm

Hi i have a requirement as a part of learning rexx to view copybook by placing the cursor on the copybook name. I have achieved that but that works only when I place the cursor on the line where we define the copybook. For eg. COPY COPYNAME........Because i am stripping the data from the line where the cursor was placed based on the keword COPY...since this restricts me to use the rexx to only on this line, I was thinking if it is possible to open the copybook on any line. For example if the COPYNAME is present in a random commented line in the cobol then, when i place the cursor under the COPYNAME it will be opened. Is there anyway to do this? Is there a way to read the string from the position where i place the cursor? Please let me know if my explanation is not understandable. Its been one month i have started learning rexx.
chintu

Re: reading a string by placing cursor on it

Postby NicC » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:38 pm

There is a way. You need the ISPF Edit and Edit Macros manual. In particular the CURSOR and LINE keywords.
The problem I have is that people can explain things quickly but I can only comprehend slowly.
Regards
Nic
NicC
Global moderator

Re: reading a string by placing cursor on it

Postby willy jensen » Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:33 pm

The REXX stmt
address ispexec "vget (zscreeni zscreenc )"
will return a screen image and the cursor position.
willy jensen

Return to CLIST & REXX