transfer a zip file to mainframe

IBM's Command List programming language & Restructured Extended Executor

transfer a zip file to mainframe

Postby KEN » Wed May 26, 2010 10:37 pm

Hi,

I have a zip file containing 10 text files in it. The zip file is present in my C drive. I want to transfer all the text files to mainframe.

Can i do it using rexx?

regards,
Ken
KEN

Re: transfer a zip file to mainframe

Postby Robert Sample » Wed May 26, 2010 10:52 pm

1. Does your site have a mainframe zip package? Mainframes do not have support for zip by default, so putting the file on the mainframe without having a way to unzip it would be useless.

2. Most desktop PCs do not have the software to support operating as a server. If you want to run something (REXX, batch job, or whatever) on the mainframe to transfer the file from another machine to the mainframe -- that is normally done by FTP -- and the machine on the other end of the connection must be a server. So driving a process from the mainframe to retrieve a file from your desktop is almost certainly guaranteed to fail.

3. Assuming you answer questions 1 and 2 satisfactorily, what release of z/OS are you running? If it is z/OS 1.8 or higher, REXX has support for FTP built in and you just need to find and read the communications server manuals to find out how to use the API.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Re: transfer a zip file to mainframe

Postby prino » Sun May 30, 2010 12:06 am

Robert Sample wrote:1. Does your site have a mainframe zip package? Mainframes do not have support for zip by default, so putting the file on the mainframe without having a way to unzip it would be useless.

Rather than ZIP, use TERSE, which is available here - you have to be a member of the group to access the files section. :(

Robert Sample wrote:2. Most desktop PCs do not have the software to support operating as a server. If you want to run something (REXX, batch job, or whatever) on the mainframe to transfer the file from another machine to the mainframe -- that is normally done by FTP -- and the machine on the other end of the connection must be a server. So driving a process from the mainframe to retrieve a file from your desktop is almost certainly guaranteed to fail.

Just get FileZilla Server and, if you don't have a static IP address, a free pseudo-domain from DynDNS.com, and you can use that to point to your PC (once you've downloaded DynDNS update utility). Works like a charm.
Robert AH Prins
robert.ah.prins @ the.17+Gb.Google thingy
prino

Return to CLIST & REXX