To track RC of Job submitted thru REXX

IBM's Command List programming language & Restructured Extended Executor

To track RC of Job submitted thru REXX

Postby Balamurugan21 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:56 am

Hi All ,

I currently have a requirment where i need to submit a job using REXX ( By using a panel , get the inputs , generate the JCL & submit it .) I need to track the retrun code of the job in case of failure of job & display it in the panel with an genric error message along with return code.

Currently i coud trace only whether the job has completed successfully using STATUS JOBNAME(JOBID) but not whether it has returned RC=0 .

Can any one help me in resolving this...
Balamurugan21

Re: To track RC of Job submitted thru REXX

Postby expat » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:28 pm

So you are quite happy for the terminal to sit there locked for potentially the whole day doing nothing.

Think the strategy again, CORRECTLY.
expat

Postby Akatsukami » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:38 pm

expat wrote:So you are quite happy for the terminal to sit there locked for potentially the whole day doing nothing.

Of course; he's then getting paid for doing nothing, not even posting here whining "i need a jcl 2 sort a file can any1 help me it is urgent?!?!?!"
"You have sat too long for any good you have been doing lately ... Depart, I say; and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!" -- what I say to a junior programmer at least once a day
Akatsukami
Global moderator

Postby Pedro » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:30 am

If you can use STATUS, perhaps you can use the OUTPUT command to capture job output.

But, STATUS and OUTPUT have given way to SDSF REXX to capture job output. See "Implementing REXX Support in SDSF", SG24-7419. Chapter 7 has several coding examples... each one demonstrates part of the task. You should be able to cobble them together to get what you want.
Pedro Vera
Pedro

Postby Akatsukami » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:49 am

Balamurugan21 wrote:I currently have a requirment where i need to submit a job using REXX ( By using a panel , get the inputs , generate the JCL & submit it .) I need to track the retrun code of the job in case of failure of job & display it in the panel with an genric error message along with return code.

Read the fine manual on NOTIFY.
"You have sat too long for any good you have been doing lately ... Depart, I say; and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!" -- what I say to a junior programmer at least once a day
Akatsukami
Global moderator

Return to CLIST & REXX