Rexx for addressing different

IBM's Command List programming language & Restructured Extended Executor

Rexx for addressing different

Postby Viswanathchandru » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:33 pm

Dear all,

I should thank this forum and the global guru's for their help and i appreciate the effort they take to help me understand the topics which i post here. Again, this post could be worst question. Still, Is there a possibility of addressing different Systems from a native system which are running in same plex. Say if A is the system that is native it is running in the same plex as system B. I just want to know whether is that possible to address or give some commands from System A using rexx. Hope i'm clear. Please let me know if in case i need to give more information on this. Apologies if i or my thoughts are wrong!

Regards,
Viswa
Viswanathchandru

Re: Rexx for addressing different

Postby Robert Sample » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:36 pm

Your teminology is fuzzy, so the question is nowhere near as clear as it could be. Assuming that by "plex" you mean "sysplex" (and not JESplex or CICSplex, for example) and that by "System A" and "System B" you are referring to different LPARs in the sysplex -- lots of assumption already! -- then the answer is that data and commands can be routed between A and B. Rexx would probably NOT be the way to do so, but it can be done. If you need more information, you need to find the MVS bookshelf for your site's version of z/OS and read up -- there's manuals on parallel sysplex, coupling facility, and MVS commands, for example, that would be beneficial in the context of what you're asking.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby Viswanathchandru » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:39 pm

Hello Robert! thanks a lot for your time and reply. Apologize for not being clear. Yes its SYSPLEX, system A and System B infers two different LPAR's. Sure I would refer the manuals and will post again on the same. Thanks.

Regards,
Viswa
Viswanathchandru

Postby Viswanathchandru » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:42 pm

The reason I asked this question is that there are some work we do in our shop across the LPAR's in the same SYSPLEX. Just curious whether it can be done through REXX from a single LPAR so that it would save time and manual intervention. Thanks

Regards,
Viswa
Viswanathchandru

Postby Robert Sample » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:50 pm

Cross-LPAR communication can be done: Omegamon, Mainview, and other monitoring tools do it so it can be done., obviously However, my understanding is that this is not an easy process and requires some advanced understanding of system control blocks and memory functions.

If you're just wanting to issue commands without getting any results back, investigate the ROUTE console command, which allows you to send console commands from one LPAR to another.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby Viswanathchandru » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:57 pm

Hello Robert!

Thanks for your time! To be very precise its not just issuing commands. Its like Capturing the SYSLOG(using ISFLOG SDSF REXX) from one native system across all the SYSPLEXed systems. I went through some thread not actually the manuals. I'm really not aware of the the consequences that would occur while addressing the SYSPLEX systems. So, now in a confused state. If this can be done without any issues as you mentioned that would help me lot in reducing the time we spend on doing it through the Batch jobs. Yes, I agree that it can be done through the Vendor products but we dont have those in our shop and yes that is our drawback. Will keep this link posted on the progress and it would be really helpful if i can get the experts suggestions moving forward. Apologies if I or my thoughts are wrong!

Regards,
Viswa
Viswanathchandru

Postby Robert Sample » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:35 pm

If this can be done without any issues as you mentioned that would help me lot in reducing the time we spend on doing it through the Batch jobs.
This is the exact opposite of what I said: the issues are that the coding requires advanced knowledge of various control blocks within the system. I certainly do NOT have the knowledge to even begin writing such a program, especially if you want to access system data (job output) as well as issue commands to the console.

And the bonus is that if you mess up your coding, you could bring down not just the two LPARs you're trying to connect, but potentially every LPAR in the SYSPLEX as they all use common data structures for comunication.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby Viswanathchandru » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:48 pm

Hello Robert! Thanks for your time!

And the bonus is that if you mess up your coding, you could bring down not just the two LPARs you're trying to connect, but potentially every LPAR in the SYSPLEX as they all use common data structures for comunication.

Perfect explanation as that could happen. I completely Agree! Definitely i don't have enough knowledge on where and how to start. Agreed! that was me who misunderstood.

Regards,
Viswa
Viswanathchandru

Postby Pedro » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:57 am

Your configuration is still fuzzy for me.

Try this - from ISPF SDSF, issue MAS command. The results should look something like (abbreviated):
 SDSF MAS DISPLAY QY4A     
 COMMAND INPUT ===>       
 NP   NAME Status       SID
      QY4A ACTIVE         1
      QY4B ACTIVE         2
      QY4C DRAINED,PXEQ   3
      QY4D DRAINED,PXEQ   4

Then in SDSF, issue LOG command. For each one that shows 'active' in the MAS display, you should be able to issue the SYSID command:
SYSID QY4A

or
SYSID QY4B

Which means that the lpars share a common JES2 spool. You should be able to view the syslog for each member of the MAS complex.

If you have a MAS, then you -may- be able to get your console log from your rexx program. We just have to figure out the rexx equivalent of the SYSID command.
Pedro Vera
Pedro

Return to CLIST & REXX