TOOL Creation

IBM's Command List programming language & Restructured Extended Executor

TOOL Creation

Postby Nizar16 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:28 am

Hi All,
Im beginner for REXX, I like to create a tool that get the Table name from the user and display list of program that using user entered table name. How to code in REXX. Its similar to CICS??

Can u any one please lead me..
Nizar16

Re: TOOL Creation

Postby NicC » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:54 am

You are not going to have much success with this if you cannot read - posting in the IBM Debug Tool section whcih is described as being specifically for the IBM Debug Tool is not a good start - topic moved.

You need to read about rexx and learn to program in it first. Get a version of rexx that runs on to your PC and learn there. Then learn he differences between PC rexx and mainframe rexx. Later you can add ISPF Library Services which you will need to do what I THINK you want to do - your description is not very clear. In fact reading your requirement again I am even less clear. What tables? DB2 tables, ISPF tables, even COBOL tables?

Is what similar to CICS?
The problem I have is that people can explain things quickly but I can only comprehend slowly.
Regards
Nic
NicC
Global moderator

Postby dick scherrer » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:28 pm

Hello,

What it sounds like you are looking for is called "impact analysis". Suggest you talk with your Configuration Management people and learn what is already available either via some purchased software or some in-house developed process.
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby Anuj Dhawan » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:02 pm

How would you do it with out REXX, if you know that; possibly there is a way out...
Anuj
Anuj Dhawan

Postby Akatsukami » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:32 pm

Nizar16, this has almost nothing to do with Rexx. The most important thing is the SQL query needed for this; the second most important thing is the reporting. I recommend that you first write a batch COBOL program that does this, then decide what functional differences there must be in your tool. When you have done this, get back to us.
"You have sat too long for any good you have been doing lately ... Depart, I say; and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!" -- what I say to a junior programmer at least once a day
Akatsukami
Global moderator

Return to CLIST & REXX