Suggestions for REXX tool development.

IBM's Command List programming language & Restructured Extended Executor

Suggestions for REXX tool development.

Postby Viswanathchandru » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:01 pm

Dear all,

After a huge strugle I was able to capture the syslog of the system through REXX and thanks to all the experts guiding me through. The current catpured syslog gets into a Flat file and I have highlighted some of the important messages. Now, I would like to know if I select that particular Key word can i divert the control to the system log. For example. If i mark my cursor at IEA371I and hit Enter would i be able to divert it to the log. Please let me know if this is possible and also any useful links to get this implemented. Hope I'm clear. Please let me know if I need to give more information on this. Apologize if my thoughts are wrong!

Thanks,
Viswa
Viswanathchandru

Re: Suggestions for REXX tool development.

Postby NicC » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:15 pm

No idea what you mean by 'divert'. Divert what? when? It sounds like you have an IEA371I message on the log, you take a copy of the log and find that IEA371I message in your copy, you put the cursor on the IEA371I message and press a key - either a PFKey or enter a command, locate the cursor on the message and press enter. Then something happens - to what? The IEA371I message that your cursor is on? Future IEA371I messages? Do you want to 'divert' them to the syslog - which is where they are going anyway or you would not have found the message in your copy - or some other - unspecified as yet - place? And why?
The problem I have is that people can explain things quickly but I can only comprehend slowly.
Regards
Nic
NicC
Global moderator

Postby dick scherrer » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:30 pm

Hello,

If i mark my cursor at IEA371I and hit Enter would i be able to divert it to the log. Please let me know if this is possible
If i understand, you are reading the SYSLOG and have found an IEA371I message - in the SYSLOG.

As it is already in the SYSLOG, how might you "divert it to the log"?

If you clarify what you really want to do, someone may have a suggestion.
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby Viswanathchandru » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:43 pm

Hi Dick,

Thanks for your time.

Scherrer wrote: If i understand, you are reading the SYSLOG and have found an IEA371I message - in the SYSLOG.
. I have got the copy of the syslog into a flat file about which I'm speaking about, While I open this flat file under ISPEXEC with default view mode i have highlighted some messages for eg: IEA371I. Now if I put the cursor on the message and hit Enter I'm expecting I should be diverted to the Log. Is this possible. Hope I'm clear.

Please let me know for any clarificaitons.

Regards,
Viswa
Viswanathchandru

Postby prino » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:49 pm

Why the fluffing ell would you want to go back to the SYSLOG, if you've already got a copy of it in your flat file?

To understand this, very hard.
Robert AH Prins
robert.ah.prins @ the.17+Gb.Google thingy
prino

Postby Viswanathchandru » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:56 pm

Dear NicC,

Thanks for addressing the post and for your time!

I have the same copy of the current syslog and I have highlighted some messages as stated. Now in the Flat file if I put my cursor on the highlighted message I would need the system or the session to be diverted in other words to go to the SDSF/Log. The message IEA371I is just an example. But, it could be some other message say some JCL error for which we may have to find what has happened before that. Hope I'm clear.

Regards,
Viswa
Viswanathchandru

Postby Viswanathchandru » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:00 pm

Hello Prino,

Thanks for your time!

I have stated in the previous post that I have highlighted the messages/Filtered some of the key messages and have it in the flat file. Now If in case I have set a rule to filter "JCL ERROR" it would capture/filter the particular line alone. In that case I would need to go back to syslog and chk what has happened. For that when I hit enter I would need it to be divereted to log.

Regards,
Viswa
Viswanathchandru

Postby Peter_Mann » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:17 pm

Sounds like your indexing the log, something some SPOOL display products do today, but I would think you would want to index the message and timestamp also from the log, so when you're cursor is placed in the message text and a key is entered, you would pass the message and date time field to the syslog and position your cursor at the log position, propobly using SDSF rexx facility would work
check the top of the page for the FM for The SDSF User guide, rexx interface.
Peter
Peter_Mann

Postby Pedro » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:28 pm

The console messages should have a timestamp on every line. When you move the cursor to a particular line... the key piece of information is the time. If you figure out how to display the syslog, the position should be based on the timestamp.
Pedro Vera
Pedro

Postby Viswanathchandru » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:54 pm

Hi Peter and Pedro,

Thanks for your valuble time.

Yeah that could yeild the results and the timestamp is the best way thanks for that. But, My question is will it work if I place the cursor at one point and use a PF Key or enter to divert to any panel? (In my case its Log). Is that possible?

Regards,
Viswa
Viswanathchandru

Next

Return to CLIST & REXX