Manipulating userid in rexx

IBM's Command List programming language & Restructured Extended Executor

Manipulating userid in rexx

Postby raovivek79 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:51 pm

Hi,

I have a weird problem.

I am writing a rexx utility for a user who will be entering some data in the screen (ISPF panel). My utility will be capturing the data entered and depending on user input, I will be assigning a request number for the user and storing it in a flat file.

Here is the problem, the user has requested that the file I store the data in should not be editable by anyone (including the user).

We have a facility in our shop by which the security admin can define a dummy id and give edit access to the file to that dummy id.
My question is, Can I switch the userid in my rexx program from the logged on user to the dummy id before I write to the file? If yes, then how do I do it.

I was looking at the SETUID command. But I am not sure how to use it and if it will be useful in this case.

Thanks,
Vivek
raovivek79

Re: Manipulating userid in rexx

Postby enrico-sorichetti » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:37 pm

My question is, Can I switch the userid in my rexx program from the logged on user to the dummy id before I write to the file?

NO !

and .... beware about mangling logons and userids
it could be cause for lawful termination.
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort
enrico-sorichetti
Global moderator

Re: Manipulating userid in rexx

Postby Pedro » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:47 pm

I have never done it.

But I think you need an APF authorized program to update the file. And permit the program to have UPDATE access to the dataset, rather than permit the userid.
Pedro Vera
Pedro

Return to CLIST & REXX