Rexx Code encryption

IBM's Command List programming language & Restructured Extended Executor

Rexx Code encryption

Postby jiteshyadav » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:15 pm

Hi,
I have created few utilities in Rexx and I have to showcase these to the clients. But my concern is that they may save the Rexx codes and further use those.
So is there any way to encrypt the Rexx programs?
One option in my mind is to use a Rexx compiler to create load module and run those on client sites. But we do not have a rexx compiler at our site. Is there any alternative?

Thanks
jiteshyadav

Re: Rexx Code encryption

Postby enrico-sorichetti » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:27 pm

I really doubt about the success of a similar approach with paying customers

just make sure to delete the libraries after the DEMO!

anyway the answer is NO encryption, NO alternatives ( apart an iron clad contract )
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort
enrico-sorichetti
Global moderator

Postby jiteshyadav » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:30 pm

Hi Enrico,

Thanks for your swift response.
Since we are an outsider to the client, client won't be giving mainframe access to us which leaves us to handing over the codes to the client and let them run the tools.
As per your response it seems there is no standard way around to do this.
The only option then is to convince my higher ups to get a license for Rexx compiler. Right?
Also even if I have a Rexx compiler and I create the load modules, those load modules will be run using some IBM utility I guess.
What if at client location that particular IBM utility to run the load module is not available? This solution won't work, right?

Thanks
jiteshyadav

Postby enrico-sorichetti » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:44 pm

from Your wording it seems that Your organization provides some kind of customer based services
and that the REXX scripts are needed to deliver the services

in this case the usual approach is to have a properly worded contract which states something along the lines of ...

to provide the services You ( the provider ) will install some softare on their ( customer ) system
the software is copyrighted, ..., ... some more legalese

at the end of the contract.
the customer will delete all the online and backup copies of your software

more legalese with warnings and threats

the contractual approach has worked well for many major companies ( IBM included )
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort
enrico-sorichetti
Global moderator

Postby jiteshyadav » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:50 pm

Thanks Enrico.
Will see how it goes.
jiteshyadav

Postby NicC » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:58 pm

Duplicate of post on another forum - locked.
The problem I have is that people can explain things quickly but I can only comprehend slowly.
Regards
Nic
NicC
Global moderator

Postby NicC » Wed May 07, 2014 4:07 pm

I have continued to have conversations regarding this topic with my mate in IBM. The original reply stands: not really possible without the compiler. But you can compile to CEXEC even though the program refernces the TSO Rexx utiolites e.g. EXECIO but note...
EXECIO needs the TSO environment so needs to run unter one of the TSO Command Processors: IKJEFTxx. All the TSO functions will then work, like: LISTDSI, OUTTRAP MSG PROMPT...
If you use any ISPEXEC or ISREDIT you'd need the ISPF environment when you run it of course.

This corrects a previous incorrect understanding on my part.
The problem I have is that people can explain things quickly but I can only comprehend slowly.
Regards
Nic
NicC
Global moderator

Return to CLIST & REXX