SMPE Restore a usermod

Ask about System customization & performance, Workload management, I/O device configuration etc.

SMPE Restore a usermod

Postby deucalion0 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:54 pm

Hello!

I have a question, which may be stupid.

I have applied a usermod and I want to restore it to get it out of the CSI, but in doing so will mean I have to restore another sysmod, which in turn cascades to the point where I am restoring almost all the maintenance.

My question is, is there a way in SMP/E to Restore a usermod without doing any other SMP/E work? Only that Usermod will be restored?

I have read the manuals for a couple of hours and I could not see anything, perhaps some of you guys know a trick to do this?

Any advice at all is appreciated!!

Thank you!!
deucalion0

Re: SMPE Restore a usermod

Postby enrico-sorichetti » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:35 pm

all depends on how the smpe statements for the usermod were written

applied gazillions of usermods and withy PROPERLY constructed SMPE control cards never had the problem

probably the damage has been already done..

the trick could be to build and apply another user mod that SUPS the faulty one and resets the sources/modules to the previous state
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort
enrico-sorichetti
Global moderator

Postby deucalion0 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:35 pm

Hi Enrico,

sorry for my delayed response.

Your idea was indeed my solution in the end!!

Thank you very much!!
deucalion0

Postby steve-myers » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:12 am

enrico-sorichetti wrote:all depends on how the smpe statements for the usermod were written

applied gazillions of usermods and withy PROPERLY constructed SMPE control cards never had the problem

probably the damage has been already done..

the trick could be to build and apply another user mod that SUPS the faulty one and resets the sources/modules to the previous state
The concept of an SMP RESTORE is to replace the modules that have been altered by a SYSMOD that is being "restored" by the copies of the modules in the DLIB. If SMPE insists that multiple SYSMODs must be "restored" it is because several sysmods have been applied without being "accepted."

Most of the time IBM SYSMODs are prepared by supplying replacement modules. The problem with Mr. Sorichetti's and deucalion0's solution is the source of the replacement module or modules.

For modules updated by a superzap: it is relatively easy to write a reversal ZAP by using the VER and REP statements in the SYSMOD being "restored," but there are problems with this "solution," especially if there are cross dependencies in the chain of zaps for the module. Here you can get yourself badly screwed up even if you do everything "right."
steve-myers
Global moderator

Return to System programming