Clarification on the central memory.

Ask about System customization & performance, Workload management, I/O device configuration etc.

Clarification on the central memory.

Postby Viswanathchandru » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:00 pm

Hi folks,
I'm not sure whether the question i'm asking is right or not. Request you to apologize me if this is a stupid question. What could be the central main memory of a system. Here in my shop i have z9 machine but i don know what is the central memory that it has. Is there any way to look at the central main memory ? apologize if i'm wrong.

Thanks,
Viswa
Viswanathchandru

Re: Clarification on the central memory.

Postby Robert Sample » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:15 pm

In order to find out the amount of memory, contact your site support group. There is an absolute limit on how much memory a given machine can have, but when the LPAR is set up in the system, an amount of memory is assigned to that LPAR -- which may be significantly less than the theoretical limit. Since your site support group set up the LPAR, only they should be telling you how much memory is assigned. There is a console command to display the high memory address, but that does not provide the usable memory for the LPAR -- and many applications programmers do not have authority to issue such console commands, anyway.

Perhaps more importantly, why do you want to know this? If you're planning on writing some program to use all of memory, you REALLY need to work with your site support group since such a program could cause some very bad system performance issues.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby dick scherrer » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:12 am

Hello,

Here in my shop i have z9 machine but i don know what is the central memory that it has. Is there any way to look at the central main memory ?
If you knew how much memory, how might this be used?

As Robert mentioned, your best way is to ask the system support people who support the cofiguration.
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby Viswanathchandru » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:49 am

Thanks robert for addressing the post!! Thanks dick!!
Yes, its better to ask the support people about the internal configuration. But just out of curiosity i asked how it can be found. Is there any books or links that gives information about the Main memory architecture. If yes, could you please provide the same. Apologize if i'm wrong.

Thanks,
Viswa
Viswanathchandru

Postby Robert Sample » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:06 pm

Your refusal to ask your site support group is suspicious -- to say the least.

Go to http://www.redbooks.ibm.com and search for Redbook SG24-6990, which is titled ABCs of z/OS System Programming Volume 10 since it discusses z/Architecture in detail. After you digest its 528 pages, you should be able to answer your own question about memory.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby Viswanathchandru » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:30 pm

Hi Robert!
Thanks a lot for the inputs!!

Regards,
Viswa
Viswanathchandru

Return to System programming