SPOOL(TGS) FULL and can't logon

Get solution for your ABEND Codes & System Error Messages, SQL Codes, File Status etc...

SPOOL(TGS) FULL and can't logon

Postby nauy » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:16 pm

hi all,
sometimes the system I use can not logon for SPOOL(TGS) FULL.

does anybody have any idea how to solve the problem ?
nauy

Re: SPOOL(TGS) FULL and can't logon

Postby enrico-sorichetti » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:13 pm

what does the manual say about it ?
a JES cold start will certainly solve the issue!
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort
enrico-sorichetti
Global moderator

Postby steve-myers » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:53 pm

You can't resolve this problem since you can't access the system. The TGS code indicates the JES2 SPOOL space is full. How did you determine you have a TGS issue if you were unable to logon?

The system operator must (and this must be done quickly before the system itself locks up because the system cannot write SYSLOG data) determine why the SPOOL space is full and cancel the offending job. Once the system locks up, the only solution is a system IPL with a JES2 cold start.
steve-myers
Global moderator

Postby nauy » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:26 am

steve-myers wrote:You can't resolve this problem since you can't access the system. The TGS code indicates the JES2 SPOOL space is full. How did you determine you have a TGS issue if you were unable to logon?

The system operator must (and this must be done quickly before the system itself locks up because the system cannot write SYSLOG data) determine why the SPOOL space is full and cancel the offending job. Once the system locks up, the only solution is a system IPL with a JES2 cold start.

here is the situation. the system is a test system for education which is built on the z/VM.
and someone has the authority to purge the jobs. but i want to add another spool volume.
so i want to know how to add a spool volume to jes2. thx :)
nauy

Postby steve-myers » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:10 am

Adding a new SPOOL volume

First, it may not be possible, depending on the JES2 system parameters and your current configuration. To determine this, examine the output from a $dspooldef command. Check SPOOLNUM= and TGSPACE=. If SPOOLNUM is equal to the number of volumes in the configuration, you can't add volumes. Similarly, if DEFINED is close to MAX in TGSPACE=, you can't add more space.

If it's possible, prepare a new SPOOL volume. The volume serial must be the volume serial prefix displayed in the VOLUME= xxxx output in $DSPOOLDEF, and the data set name must be the data set name in DSNAME= in the $DSPOOLDEF output. SPOOL volumes are not SMS defined, and do not have to be indexed since the VTOC is used only to allocate the SPOOL data set and when JES2 starts the volume. Obviously you must have RACF ALTER to the new SPOOL data set. JES2 will format the data set when it acquires it, so all you have to do is allocate the space. Technically the $sspool command can allocate the SPOOL data set, but it's easier to keep things simple.

Finally, once everything is ready, use the $SSPOOL command to start the new SPOOL volume.
steve-myers
Global moderator

Postby nauy » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:56 pm

steve-myers wrote:Adding a new SPOOL volume

First, it may not be possible, depending on the JES2 system parameters and your current configuration. To determine this, examine the output from a $dspooldef command. Check SPOOLNUM= and TGSPACE=. If SPOOLNUM is equal to the number of volumes in the configuration, you can't add volumes. Similarly, if DEFINED is close to MAX in TGSPACE=, you can't add more space.

If it's possible, prepare a new SPOOL volume. The volume serial must be the volume serial prefix displayed in the VOLUME= xxxx output in $DSPOOLDEF, and the data set name must be the data set name in DSNAME= in the $DSPOOLDEF output. SPOOL volumes are not SMS defined, and do not have to be indexed since the VTOC is used only to allocate the SPOOL data set and when JES2 starts the volume. Obviously you must have RACF ALTER to the new SPOOL data set. JES2 will format the data set when it acquires it, so all you have to do is allocate the space. Technically the $sspool command can allocate the SPOOL data set, but it's easier to keep things simple.

Finally, once everything is ready, use the $SSPOOL command to start the new SPOOL volume.

Thank you very much for your advice. I also read the "JES2 initialization and tuning guide" and succeed in adding a volume :)
nauy

Return to ABENDS & SQL Codes