File transfer from Mainframe to unix loosing spanish Charact

Post anything related to mainframes (IBM & UNISYS) if not fit in any of the above categories

File transfer from Mainframe to unix loosing spanish Charact

Postby Nagesh_ZOS » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:01 pm

Hi All,

I am transfering some files using ftp JCL . On the Unix side I see that some spanish characters are showing as some escape character. I need to load this file into Oracle database. I tried Manually converting from ebcdic to UTF but I am loosing delimited values after the conversion using the DD command and iconv. so My load to Oracle db is failing. Can someone help me what parameters should I set in the FTP JCL so that EBCDIC to ASCII or UTF8 conversion is taken care by the FTP on the mainframe side.

Thanks,
Nagesh.
Nagesh_ZOS

Re: File transfer from Mainframe to unix loosing spanish Cha

Postby Nagesh_ZOS » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:03 pm

Hi Used ascii in the ftp JCL, But still the spanish characters are showing as Unicode Character 'NOT SIGN' (U+00AC) .
Nagesh_ZOS

Postby prino » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:13 pm

And, as Mark Zuckerberg would call you, but than a lot stronger, dumb piece of homo sapiens, what have your questions to do with the "Forum Rules" forum?
Robert AH Prins
robert.ah.prins @ the.17+Gb.Google thingy
prino

Postby Robert Sample » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:40 pm

Standard ASCII does not have the Spanish characters, so you are asking for the impossible if you want the Spanish characters reflected in standard ASCII.

Start reading https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgece ... ftpcon.htm as you need to indicate to the system to do a translation from EBCDIC to (most likely) code page 284 to allow use of the Spanish characters. Hint: find out about the QUOTE LOCSITE SBDATACONN(1037,284) subcommand of FTP.

And, since you do not seem to know this, FTP text transfers from a z/OS system to a Windows or Linux machine will AUTOMATICALLY convert EBCDIC to (standard) ASCII -- nothing is needed to do that. When you want non-standard ASCII, such as Spanish characters, you MUST either translate on the mainframe before the transfer and then do the transfer as a binary transfer, or indicate to FTP that you want the translation to be something other than to standard ASCII.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby Nagesh_ZOS » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:54 am

Thanks alot Rob. for quickly answering this. I appreciate all your help.

Thanks,
Nagesh.
Nagesh_ZOS

Postby Robert Sample » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:02 am

If you are talking to me, my name is "Robert" -- not "Rob".
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby Nagesh_ZOS » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:36 pm

Sorry Robert. Thanks alot for quick reply. I still had no luck . I am using below syntax in FTP. Can you help me if I am missing any options that needs to be changed at TCP parms on ZOS system.

servername
username
password
locsite sbd=(IBM-1047,ISO8859-1)
cd target direcroty
put 'dsaname.on.zos' gg.test.data
quit
Nagesh_ZOS

Postby Robert Sample » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:12 am

IBM-1047 is IBM EBCDIC (at least, one of the versions of IBM EBCDIC) while ISO8859-1 is standard ASCII. I would think you would want SBD(IBM-284,ISO8859-1) to get Spanish data translated to standard ASCII. Is your mainframe data using code page 284 already?
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby Nagesh_ZOS » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:30 am

Hi Robert,

Thanks alot for quick reply. Yes. My mainframe dataset already showing Spanish characters clearly without any errors when I see through browse. I am not sure how to check my mainframe code page. Can you give me the command so that I can check.

Thanks,
Nagesh.
Nagesh_ZOS

Postby Nagesh_ZOS » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:47 am

Hi Robert,

I appreciate all your help. Using SBD(IBM-284,ISO8859-1) had changed N tilde(Spanish) character to # at the destination and other # to N tilde(Spanish). I want to send the Mainframe dataset to linux server without changing the spanish characters . Since we have many files to transfer we are planning to automate this process, But I am not able to get the FTP syntax correct. Even if we get at destination with UTF8 , that would also suffice. when I used SBD(IBM-284,UTF-8) I get message saying not all characters are transalated from 047 to utf8.

Thanks,
Nagesh.
Nagesh_ZOS

Next

Return to All other Mainframe Topics