Trigger a mail when abend occurs

Post anything related to mainframes (IBM & UNISYS) if not fit in any of the above categories

Trigger a mail when abend occurs

Postby Samrita S » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:20 pm

Hi,

I need to trigger a mail when an abend occurs in Savers. It should check the jobs running in the savers and should trigger a mail to a particular team if any abend occurs.
I know it can be done by adding a step in the last of JCL by coding COND parameter. But we are not supposed to change the job as it is a production job. So please help me out.

Thanks,
Samrita
Samrita S

Re: Trigger a mail when abend occurs

Postby expat » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:29 pm

Why not talk to your scheduling people and do it the easy way
expat

Postby Samrita S » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:46 pm

its production one so they can't wait till that. And we even don't have the permission
Samrita S

Postby Akatsukami » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:15 pm

Samrita S wrote:its production one so they can't wait till that. And we even don't have the permission

So what "they" are saying is: "We want this done right away, but we won't let you". :P

Please tell "them" that a very senior software developer says that "they" are incompetent morons.
"You have sat too long for any good you have been doing lately ... Depart, I say; and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!" -- what I say to a junior programmer at least once a day
Akatsukami
Global moderator

Postby Robert Sample » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:57 pm

From the $AVRS User's Guide manual:
$AVRS ®
SYSOUT ACCUMULATION VIEWING & RETRIEVAL SYSTEM®
USER'S MANUAL

1. Jobs do NOT run "in $AVERS". Jobs run in the system and their output is processed by $AVRS.
2. Why did you not pose this question to SEA, the vendor? You're MUCH more likely to get an answer from them.
3. Since the only mention in the 447-page User's Guide of email is on the title page for the SEA technical support email address, does that give you a clue about the answer to your question?
4. Abend notification should be handled by the job scheduling system, not by the output processing system. CA-7, for example, supports email notification of job status.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby Samrita S » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:08 pm

Yup you are correct, jobs donot run in $AVRS, its routed to them. I didn't undrstand SEA?? what is CA-7?
Samrita S

Postby Robert Sample » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:25 pm

SEA is the vendor for $AVRS along with many other products. The $AVRS User's Guide manual gives this:
SEA
Software Engineering of America
1230 Hempstead Turnpike
Franklin Square, NY 11010
E Mail: SEATECH@SEASOFT.COM
Web Address: http://WWW.SEASOFT.COM
Telephone: (516) 328-7000
Fax: (516) 354-4015

CA-7 is a job scheduler similar to Zeke and Tivoli (OPS). Job schedulers are used on mainframes to run jobs at particular times, on particular days, or in a particular sequence -- or all of these.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby Samrita S » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:07 am

HI,
Need to add one more thing. I want this for a pass that is running daily. So there are around 200 jobs that is running. So it wont be practical going inside every job and adding a mail step. So to avoid it I need another way to trigger a mail automatically when abend occurs.
Samrita S

Postby BillyBoyo » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:37 am

Yesterday expat was the first to suggest you talk to the people who work at your site who are responsible for the operation of the scheduler software. Who is it who ensures that a new job added to production gets submitted each day? Start with them, ask them how your 200 jobs run all in the right position. Ask what facilities there are, for whatever controls this process, for taking action when a job fails.
BillyBoyo
Global moderator

Postby Samrita S » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:26 pm

Hi,

Actuallay I didn't get your point. Are you asking about the way all the jobs are getting submitted at a time. THen its like: 1 job triggers next job and thesecond job triggers the third. For that we have coded a submit step at the end of each job which get submitted depending upon the condition parameter of the previous step.
Samrita S

Next

Return to All other Mainframe Topics