Converting CRLF after PGP Decryption

Post anything related to mainframes (IBM & UNISYS) if not fit in any of the above categories

Converting CRLF after PGP Decryption

Postby fraser_john » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:48 am

We are receiving a file that originates on an ASCII based OS onto the host, it has been encrypted using PGP. Given that it is encrypted, the file has been transferred in BINARY, so no translation of 'x0d0a' CRLF has occurred.

After decryption, we need it in a VB file with a record length of 130 bytes. After decryption, the x'0d0a' for CRLF are present in the file indicating the end of record from the original ASCII OS.

Does any one have a suggestion on how we can convert the ASCII CRLF to a host end of record after the file has arrived on the host and after it has been decrypted?
fraser_john

Re: Converting CRLF after PGP Decryption

Postby NicC » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:52 am

Mainframe does not have end of record indicators - it uses the LRECL of the dataset for FB. VB datasets use the RDW information for the same. You need to drop the CRLF bytes. Also, other special characters may need to be translated.

If you are using a fixed length of 130 why are you using VB format?
The problem I have is that people can explain things quickly but I can only comprehend slowly.
Regards
Nic
NicC
Global moderator

Postby fraser_john » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:01 am

well, it is more a maximum LRECL if all fields are present in the inbound record.
fraser_john

Postby dick scherrer » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:20 am

Hello,

One way to get where you need to be is to simply ignore the cr/lf in the mainframe data. Allow for the extra bytes and just do not use them in the mainframe process.
Hope this helps,
d.sch.
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Postby BillyBoyo » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:01 am

What does the file look like after de-pgping? Is it records with hex codes for CR/LF at the end? Is the rest of the data "text" data? Then you could, as Dick has said, just leave them there, or you could drop them with a program or possibly with your Sort product.

If it is a big "lump" then you'll have to de-lump it with a program.
BillyBoyo
Global moderator

Postby enrico-sorichetti » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:07 am

the whole process is at least ... murky
what product is used to decrypt the <file> ,
how do You plan to translate to EBCDIC the data
and ...
and ...
too many issues issues undefined to be able for anybody to provide a good answer

depending on the product used there might be additional utilities to take of the file handling after decryption ( even VSAM support )
the best source of info will be certainly the docs of the PGP product being used
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort
enrico-sorichetti
Global moderator

Postby enrico-sorichetti » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:28 am

too many issues issues undefined to be able for anybody to provide a good answer

depending on the product used there might be additional utilities to take of the file handling after decryption ( even VSAM support )

:oops: sorry for the sloppy writing
should have been

too many issues undefined to be able for anybody to provide a good answer

depending on the product used there might be additional product utilities to take care of the file handling after decryption ( even VSAM support )
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort
enrico-sorichetti
Global moderator

Return to All other Mainframe Topics