Need Info about VAX/VMS technology

Need Info about VAX/VMS technology

Postby blackswan » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:51 pm

Hello All,

I am an mainframe developer with skills Cobol, Jcl, Assemblers, Unix in IBM mainframe. I am getting a call for VAX/VMS technology project. I dont know anything about VAX/VMS, But got to know that there is Cobol, Unix and its a open system. And so I am confused to accept the approval or not keeping in mind about my future.

Please guide me that I should go for project or look for IBM mainframe projects.

Regards
blackswan

Re: Need Info about VAX/VMS technology

Postby BillyBoyo » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:31 am

I think there are fewer VAX/VMS sites than Mainframe sites. Whilst you will be expanding your skills, you'll be expanding them into a limited area.

Don't expect the COBOL to be what you use on the Mainframe. Perhaps find out if VAX has a COBOL '85 yet.

VMS is not Unix. You'll have no problem getting along with VMS, but it won't add much to your CV.

Or, when I last used VMS it wasn't - I don't know what "OPEN/VMS" is :-)

On the one had the field is narrow. On the other I've seen some very high rates offered for VMS/COBOL, but there is no guarantee that that is a general thing.
BillyBoyo
Global moderator

Postby blackswan » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:57 am

Thanks BillyBoyo :)
blackswan

Postby Akatsukami » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:05 pm

BillyBoyo wrote:I think there are fewer VAX/VMS sites than Mainframe sites. Whilst you will be expanding your skills, you'll be expanding them into a limited area.

Don't expect the COBOL to be what you use on the Mainframe. Perhaps find out if VAX has a COBOL '85 yet.

VMS is not Unix. You'll have no problem getting along with VMS, but it won't add much to your CV.

Or, when I last used VMS it wasn't - I don't know what "OPEN/VMS" is :-)

On the one had the field is narrow. On the other I've seen some very high rates offered for VMS/COBOL, but there is no guarantee that that is a general thing.

"OpenVMS" is just VAX/VMS renamed.

Note that the VAX-11 is obsolete hardware; the last one was manufactured in 2005. OpenVMS can also run on Alpha and Itanium hardware, although I don't know how many instances of it there are; Alpha is essentially dead, and I don't think that there's much of an Itanium base.
"You have sat too long for any good you have been doing lately ... Depart, I say; and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!" -- what I say to a junior programmer at least once a day

These users thanked the author Akatsukami for the post:
BillyBoyo (Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:26 pm)
Akatsukami
Global moderator

Postby blackswan » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:37 pm

Thanks Akatsukami :)
blackswan

Postby NicC » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:53 pm

You can, of course, use the "thank you" button (it is the "thumbs-up" button on each post).
The problem I have is that people can explain things quickly but I can only comprehend slowly.
Regards
Nic
NicC
Global moderator

Return to Career Guidance