MDT and Different map compilation option

Support for CICS/ESA, CICS/TS & Transaction Gateway, CICS Configuration Manager and CICS Performance Analyzer

MDT and Different map compilation option

Postby rohitumarjikar » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:02 am

Hi,
I want to know how MDT i.e FSET and FRSET can be used effectively in our application program.
I know about FSET and FRSET .They are used to identify wheather data is changed on the screen or not.
But any one can explain how to use it in program and what are the advantages and disadvantages of it??
rohitumarjikar

Re: MDT and Different map compilation option

Postby Robert Sample » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:47 pm

If the field is not changed, what is sent from the terminal to the CICS program? How does that change with FSET / FRSET? Once you can answer those two questions (the manuals will be a good place to start looking), you can answer your own question.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby rohitumarjikar » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:22 pm

Actually I have to implemnt that urdently.
So any one who have done this type of work then please post your comments.
Thanks Rohbert for your suggestions.
rohitumarjikar

Postby enrico-sorichetti » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:00 pm

we do not do urgent, and above all You did not tell the requirement

MDT set/reset is not related to map compilation
is a flag which is set by the hardware ( real or emulated ) when data is entered into a field

But any one can explain how to use it in program and what are the advantages and disadvantages of it??

the question is badly posed...
the issue is : what is the business need and what are the technical means to satisfy them

look like here we have a solution looking for a requirement

describe the requirement first, and afterward if the description is clear the solution will show up by itself
cheers
enrico
When I tell somebody to RTFM or STFW I usually have the page open in another tab/window of my browser,
so that I am sure that the information requested can be reached with a very small effort
enrico-sorichetti
Global moderator

Postby Robert Sample » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:47 pm

So implement it already and quit wasting time on forums! Seriously, anyone who has programmed more than a couple of CICS screens has had to deal with the MDT either as part of the specifications or because there were unexpected side effects to not using the MDT. Using the MDT does not have a lot of specific code -- it's more how you set the attributes for the map fields before the SEND MAP and how you handle the data returned when you do the RECEIVE MAP.

If you are looking for code specific to your site for handling data on the map, you really need to talk to your coworkers, your team leader, or your site support group for assistance. Different sites implement different standards for CICS maps and their fields, and anything we told you most likely would not apply at your site.
Robert Sample
Global moderator

Postby dick scherrer » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:59 am

Hello,

The urgency is possibly because the homework assignment is due now/soon.

d
dick scherrer
Global moderator

Return to CICS